Siting of boiler vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could help me with a general enquiry regarding the regulations on the positioning of a boiler vent from an oil powered boiler.

The problem I have is that our neighbour has recently had a side extension built and has moved their boiler to the wall of the extension which is sited approx. 10ft from our property (the boundary being about half way between). Our house is a little unusual in that the front door is at the side of our property and as such the vent from our neighbour’s boiler is now about 10ft from our front door, pointing more or less at it.

I am concerned on two fronts, firstly the noise level from the boiler (which sounds more like an industrial boiler than domestic) is very high coming through our front door and also through the windows of our lounge (which is on the same side with the vent pointing at it). It really is very loud and disturbing to us, we can't even hear the tele anymore!! I am also concerned as to what fumes and gases are now being directed at our front door from the boiler.

The boiler is a non condensing type and whilst I suppose that it has been moved and sited in accordance with regulations, I wonder if anyone could advise what the regulations are in respect to distances from adjacent properties (well distances from front doors!) of boiler vents of this type or point me to somewhere where I could find out some more information?

I have spoken to our neighbours on several occasions about the problem ( in fact we did ask before the extension was built if the boiler could not be put on the wall facing us!), to ask if some ducting could be added to direct the vent upwards, but have not made any progress so far in getting this done.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

Sponsored Links
Where a flue is placed should be in such a position that it does not cause any annoyance or discomfort.

You could start by asking the planning department why they permitted the extension with the flue in that position.

But the best department is the Environment Health at the council as they have very strong powers.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile";p="1998690 said:
Where a flue is placed should be in such a position that it does not cause any annoyance or discomfort.

Is that part of some regulation or is it 'best practice', I am convinced the builders put it where they did because it was the easiest option for them!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back