Skimming Information Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a house built by Hassel Homes roundabout 1980. It uses the Dot and Dab method of fastening the plaster board to the breeze block. The plasterboard seems to have a final finish on top of the plasterboard which is not plaster because its white. I was told this was a common method used by Hassle Homes because it was cheap and saved plastering. Unfortunately some of this finish is lifting away from the board in quite large pieces (appears to be like thick card). I am removing the loose finish and filling the gaps with Uni Bond filler and then intend to have the walls skimmed with plaster. The plasterer says he cannot guaratee that the plaster will stick because he is unsure if the original finish will react with the plaster. Any information or advice is welcome

Sponsored Links
I am not familiar with this type of wall finish Brad, so I can't comment on it,, but if as you say it is coming away from the wall-board in quite large pieces and it "appears to be like a thick card", then putting on PVA and a couple of coats of skim plaster would possibly do more harm than good, because the moisture from the plaster etc would soak in,, making that "thick card" soft and supple, possibly causing the whole lot to come away from the wall en masse, new plaster and all.... Not an easy one to call.... Best advice,,,,try a small wall/area and see what happens.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back