Plastering Water Damaged Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had quotes from plasters for the removal of part of a ceiling across a bay and removal of plaster above and below. There is a crack running down from the edge of the window ledge and the plaster is loosened and needs to be removed.

One plaster has said he would use 'Dot and Dab with new plaster board and skim on the walls. replace with new plasterboard and skim ceiling.'

The second plaster has said he would 'Plasterboard and skim ceiling and Float and skim walls.'

The third plaster said he would 'Remove damaged plasterwork and repair and undercoat plaster. Skim with finish plaster.'

Can anyone tell me which option would provide the better finish?

I had wondered about putting plasterboard onto the walls, when there was previously only plaster there and it is old property of approximately 100 years old. Having read others comments on this site it would appear most of you do not like plasterboard on walls as this can cause problems later, i.e. when redecorating.

Look forward to any replies. Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I’d go with option 2 or 3 for the walls; does option 2 involve stripping back all the old plaster to brick before applying new base & finish coats? The success of the patch repair option 3 would also be dependant on how much damage there is & soundness of the existing plaster base; I assume option 3 also replaces the ceiling boards as per the other 2 quotes?

Has the source of the water damage been rectified? No point if it hasn’t & if there is any sign of damp it must also be rectified & left to dry out thoroughly before attempting any replastering.

I'm in agreement with Rich', option 2 or 3, but prefering 2, as it sounds a more substantial job.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the quick replies. I too had thought the first plaster was not the best option, even though he came with a recommendation. You have settled my mind :D The second plaster did state he would 'hack off plaster', but does not specify and undercoat, just float and skim (yes he is to use plasterboard and skim on the ceiling).

The damage was caused by rainwater flooding under the lead of the roof along the roof rim. The roofers said they have sealed the whole where the water entered.

The ceiling still looks damp, but I dare say when plaster has been wet through the marks will remain. Not sure how to determine if the problem is cured though. Any suggestions?

The second plaster did state he would 'hack off plaster', but does not specify, and undercoat, just float and skim

If the 2nd plasterer stated that he would "hack off plaster", then "float" and skim,, then that "float"coat would mean, "and undercoat", back onto the bare brickwork, then skim,,, the best way to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back