Patching up ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were laying loft boards in the attic yesterday and there was a piece of wooden hidden under the fiberglass insulation so when a board was laid over the top of it it pushed the plasterboard of the ceiling down and buckled the skim coat. The actual plasterboard is not damaged just the plaster skim. The plaster skim has not fallen down either but there are very noticeable cracks. Should we get a plasterer in to remove this old plaster and patch it up?

It is a new build and so we should be able to get the builder to get the plasterer to come in and fix this if needed.

Sponsored Links
As the damage wasn't caused by a defect in the building work, I doubt that the builder will pay for a pasterer to re-do it.

Might be easier to just try and fill the cracks with a fine surface filler although the success of this will depend on how much damage there is to the plaster.

I assume the piece of wood has now been removed from the loft.
?

FredFlintstone said:
As the damage wasn't caused by a defect in the building work, I doubt that the builder will pay for a pasterer to re-do it.

Might be easier to just try and fill the cracks with a fine surface filler although the success of this will depend on how much damage there is to the plaster.

I assume the piece of wood has now been removed from the loft.
?
Yes the piece of wood has now been removed. The house next to us is due to be plastered within the next few weeks so we could potentially get it done then. How much would you estimate a job like this would cost to do if we were to get our own plasterer in to do it?

What size is the ceiling and how high up is it? How many light fittings? Any other obstacles or access issues for a plasterer?

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
FredFlintstone said:
What size is the ceiling and how high up is it? How many light fittings? Any other obstacles or access issues for a plasterer?

Regards

Fred
It's the landing ceiling beside the attic door. There is one light fitting but it is nowhere near the loose plaster. Does the entire ceiling need replastered or just where the loose plaster is?

I'll maybe try and take a picture of it later if that's any more help?

To get the best finish you'd ideally want to re-skim the entire ceiling, otherise there's a good chance of the patch being visible, no matter how feintly.

For a simple skim patch, up to say 2 metres square, I'd probably charge £70. Even if the patch was 50cm by 50cm I'd probably charge the same due to the proportion of the day the job would take up.

Regards

Fred

I was speaking to the site foreman yesterday when I got home from work and he said that if I chip the loose plaster away he would get it skimmed for me. He didn't mention a charge either which was good.

How much should I chip away?

I would remove the loose plaster only, the plasterer will remove more if he needs to.

I have taken a few pictures of the damaged plaster, you can see them here.

What are your thoughts on this now that you've seen it. I think the foreman of the site is going to do it for us but I wouldn't think he's a professional plasterer, he may just do bits and pieces. Therefore I'm a bit wary of getting him to do it, and am thinking I should just pay for a proper plasterer to do it. Also will the architrave of the attic door need to be removed before plastering?

No need to remove architrave . The whole ceiling will need skimming but its only a small job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back