Skimming old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just stripped one of our rooms right back to the old plaster (walls are plaster on brick) and plan to skim over the top. I have 2 questions:

1. We've knocked out a small patch of lose plaster right back to the brick. Can we patch this with some plasterboard and fill before the skim coat? Or is patching with plaster alone best?
  2. The corner beads are the wooden ones, we'd like sharp corners for the room. Can a skim bead be installed over the top? Or do we need to remove the wooden beads and risk damaging surrounding plaster?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
fill the patches with board or powder plaster but leav a bitof space for skimmimg.
if you got blown wall plaster an wood corner beads then its an old house i suppose maybe the wall plaser is sand and lime an it could be failing.
dont mess with the corner beads or youl give yourself trouble

Cheers @bobasd,

Will continue with plan to board the patch. It's 12.5mm board in a ~15mm recess so imagine that'll leave enough for the skim.

As for the beads, are you suggesting leave as they are? With the skim coat going on, we thought we may be able to fit a metal bead over the corner as it seemed safer than removing the wooden beads. Most of it seems in fairly good condition other than the patch we've removed. We had someone in to plaster another room a while back and they fitted metal beading, just not sure if they removed the wooden first...

Are you skimming or a plasterer ?

If a plasterer, ask them what they want to do- when my 50's house was done, the guy added his own beads

Sponsored Links
dont attempt to set the metal beads over the wood beads.work with whatyouve got
houses we work on they want us to keep the wood beads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back