Rendering kitchen walls

I would solid plaster every time as you have more chance of the wall units actually staying up
As for the tiling you should always tile off the worktops because if you have fitted the kitchen right then the worktop will be level all the way round and this gives a level starting point
And i have in the past used marine ply sealed with unibond in shower enclosures ,tile straight on the top and bobs your uncle
Sponsored Links
And i have in the past used marine ply sealed with unibond in shower enclosures ,tile straight on the top and bobs your uncle
I have to disagree with using ply for a shower enclosure. Ply is a poor choice for anything other than the floor unless it’s tanked or, possibly, if very expensive epoxy tile adhesive/grout is used. It’s not dimensionally stable when wet/damp & if moisture gets in, it will warp & the tiling will fail. Marine ply is not waterproof, it’s only the adhesive used to bond the veneers that is unaffected by water. You cant rely on waterproof adhesive & grout to seal the ply against water ingress either; they are only waterproof to the extent they won’t disintegrate when wet, they are still water permeable. There is also a risk that moisture will get into the back of the ply causing warping & premature tile failure & sealing the back with SBR is strongly recomended when using WBP ply for floors.

If by "Unibond" you mean standard PVA, it remains water soluble & tiling over that stuff is definitely not a good idea & it should never be used in wet areas. If moisture gets in, it will emulsify & the tiling will fail. Either an SBR or APD waterproof sealer should be used (subject to the chosen adhesive manufacturer’s instructions) but why bother when a quality tile backer board is by far superior. You will not find many pro tilers using Unibond products either, unfortunately they don't have a particularly good reputation.

Marine ply is also an unnecessary & expensive extravagance if your tiling over it; WBP ply uses similar waterproof veneer bonding adhesives but lacks the quality finish veneers of Marine ply & so is far cheaper. ;)
I dont do it as a normal thing i was just saying that i have in the past done it and its still ok 6 years down the line and yes your right unibond are pants its just that i have always called pva unibond

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links