skimming or lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There
I'm a new member who's a bit of a DIY novice so go easy on me :).

Anyway we have just moved into a relatively newly built property (1980ish) and a lot of the internal walls appear to be stud type wall with plasterboard, probably a bad description but as I said DIY is not a strong point.

So I have removed the wallpaper from the lounge wall but the surface is not good enough to paint directly, so should I get the walls skimmed or should I get a decorator to just put up lining paper which would (hopefully) cover up the numerous chips, dings and minor holes in the surface.

Also if I go for the skimming option I could get the artexted ceiling done at the same time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
I think you have answered your own question!

Rather than rely on it 'hopefully' being good with paper, and also having to redec in the future, why not skim now and paint in the future.

Just get 3 quotes and ask to see the work , though.

You should get away with pollyfilla and sandpaper for holes and a wire wool shank and or decorators sponge followed by pollycell base coat to tidy the rest then paint.

Go with Micilin,,, have it skimmed by a competent "plasterer" and the jobs a good un.

Sponsored Links
Thanks All - we were veering towards skimming, but it's good to have confirmation.

Would you be prepared to let us know the £ range of the quotes ? Just out of interest to compare Sussex v. Surrey prices ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back