Skimming plasterboard in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just built a stud wall to extend my bathroom. I've used green water-resistent plasterboard but what type of plaster should I use to skim the boards? Once plastered, some areas will be tiled and some painted.

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Green moisture resistant is fine for general bathroom areas but for wet areas (behind baths & in shower cubicles), I would advise either tank it or use a tile backer board. Use Multi Finish or Board Finish for the skim coat.

Where have you extended the bathroom to? If you’ve nicked a bit of the adjacent bedroom, Building Regulations require that stud walls between a room containing a W/C & another habitable room must be sound insulated!

I've nicked some space from the bedroom to extend the bathroom but I've used sound-bloc boards on the bedroom side and insulated the void.

The green MR board is going to be along the side of the bath (which will have an overhead shower). I was hoping that after I've skimmed the wall and tiled it, it'll be OK. Is this foolish? I don't want the tiles to start falling off in a couple of months!

Being a bit of a newbie, I'm not familiar with tile backer boards or DIY tanking. How would I go about this?

Thanks for the advice.

I've nicked some space from the bedroom to extend the bathroom but I've used sound-bloc boards on the bedroom side and insulated the void.
I got caught out by this last year & as I’d already used ordinary wall board on the bedroom side, I had to double up on them to meet spec; no big deal but inconvenient. To meet the BR’s, you need to use high density board BOTH sides & insulate the void!

The green MR board is going to be along the side of the bath (which will have an overhead shower). I was hoping that after I've skimmed the wall and tiled it, it'll be OK. Is this foolish? I don't want the tiles to start falling off in a couple of months! Being a bit of a newbie, I'm not familiar with tile backer boards or DIY tanking. How would I go about this?

Personally I wouldn’t use any sort of plasterboard in wet areas unless it’s tanked;
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/building_a_shower.htm

but I only ever use cement based tile backer board;
http://www.tilefixdirect.com/catego...ds-main.html?gclid=CIL75o6vtZYCFQHilAodNU_HFA

Unless it's being fully tiled, I also always skim PB in the rest of the room even the bits that will be tiled afterwards; but don’t skim the backer board. For the small additional work/cost involved it really isn’t worth the risk. Cement tile backer boards are also high density so there is an advantage on stud walls in that they meet the sound insulations regs.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, looks like I've got a bit more work to do.

That's for the advice, that's a great help!

Hmm, looks like I've got a bit more work to
Just to add; if you do go for tile backer board & it’s the stud wall between the bathroom & bedroom, make sure you use 12.5mm or the density won’t comply with the sound insulation requirements!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back