skimming spongy plaster and lath wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Am about to skim the upstairs hall/landing. The party wall is no problem but the other, internal wall is old plaster and lath. There are only a few small holes but a couple of areas are quite spongy, particularly on a narrow bit of wall between two door frames where I think the laths are loose after replacing the side of a rotten door frame.

Do I need to chop out spongy bits and plaster board or will skimming straight on top stabilise the dodgy bits? I don't want to start ripping loads of it out, but need to make sure it survives!

Any tips very gratefully received!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Skimming over the 'spongy' bit is not advisable. The plaster will just crack very easily. You need to secure behind the old plaster, that either take down the plaster and secure the lathes or better still take the lathes out and plasterboard it. You may need a layer of bonding to make up the existing plaster thickness however.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back