Skimming Vs Replastering ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the difference between skimming and replastering and would skimming be quicker to complete the replastering, and generally is skimming cheaper ?

Ive just stripped a room in my house that had wall paper ceiling and walls, the plaster behind is not to bad, any chunks that came out I patched and it looks fine. I want a nice finish though that I dont think I will get from just rubbing it down.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Skimming is literally what it says, applying 2 thin coats of plaster so the finished thickness is about 3mm on top of the original plaster.

If you have gone back to the bare brick or block, then you would have to float on the backing plaster and then apply a skim coat.

If your walls are sound and free from flaking paint then skimming will be fine.

Skimming will dry out in a few days so you can crack on with the decorating. If its a full float and set, then expect 7 to 10 days for drying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back