SKIRTING BOARD HEATING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

We are a thinking of installing skirting board heating, Has anyone used this type of heating and what are the pros and cons.

Sponsored Links
pros are there mainly used in places were high surface temperatures would cause a problem, like a rad in a dentists waiting room would not be suitable if a child was to put there hands on it due to high surface temps.but the drawback is the heat output if not fanned is terrible.

I like the idea as it gives gentle heat emission all round the room, with fast heatup unlike UFH.

The heat output is quite adequate for most applicatione being about 540 watts per metre length at 80° C and presumably about 440 w/m at 70° C flow.

It was quite popular during the 70s but has been used much less since. Mostly because it has not been strongly marketed and few installers were even aware that it existed.

If you like the idea please use it.

Tony

I just hope they work better these days than the skirting heating my dad had installed in our big house in 1960 powered by a two pot oil boiler. I remember helping the engineer change the wicks when I was about eight years old (getting in the way i think we call it now) :oops: The system was not much good, but its a long time ago.

As ever, you'l be fine if you get your heat input/output calculations right..now where's my Mears calculator?

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
It usually failed to give adequate heat because it was only fitted along one wall as if was a radiator.

The actual heat output power was often never properly calculated. You have to take account of sections which will be blocked by furniture. I would advise at least 50% extra cacacity to take occupiers into account.

Even rad outputs are reduced when the occupiers cover the rads with towels and wet clothes.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back