Skywatchers set for meteor shower on august 12

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Perseids occur when the Earth passes through dusty cometary debris
Skygazers are getting ready to watch the annual Perseid meteor shower, which peaks on Wednesday.

The Perseid shower occurs when the Earth passes through a stream of dusty debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle.

As this cometary "grit" strikes our atmosphere, it burns up, often creating streaks of light across the sky.

This impressive spectacle appears to originate from a point called a "radiant" in the constellation of Perseus - hence the name Perseid.

"Earth passes through the densest part of the debris stream sometime on 12 August. Then, you could see dozens of meteors per hour," said Bill Cooke of Nasa's meteoroid environment office.

No special equipment is required to watch the sky show. Astronomers say binoculars might help, but will also restrict the view to a small part of the sky.

The Perseids can appear in any part of the sky, but their tails all point back to the radiant in the constellation Perseus.

In the UK, the best times to see the Perseids are likely to be on the morning of 12 August before dawn and from late evening on the 12th through to the early hours of the 13 August.

This year, light from the last quarter Moon will interfere significantly with the view.

The rock and dust fragments which cause the shower were left behind by Comet Swift-Tuttle when it last came near the Sun.

The comet orbits the Sun once every 130 years and last swept through the inner Solar System in 1992.

Sponsored Links
I stayed up half the night once when they promised a meteor shower and I didn't see one. Not one.

If you want to see meteors the best place I've ever found is outback Australia. You never have to wait more than a minute to see one.
I've seen some really good ones, big fiery trails across the sky breaking up as they went. Often the best ones were green (copper I guess).

We used to see another weird phenomena called 'dead man's camp fires' or Will'o 'the wisp. We used to chase them in the old ute. (pick-up truck) but could never catch them.

By the way, have you ever read Day of the Triffids? That'll put you off meteor storms.

Sponsored Links
They say the best way to see them is on your back not standing up as you'll miss em otherwise

I watched a band called the meteors at Bradford Uni many years ago, I started stood up then later on my back. It didn't make a darn difference, it was brill! :D
and my head hurt in the morning :cool:

Do you know these smillies :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Is it me or does it remind you guys of the wacko thing on TV

They say the best way to see them is on your back not standing up as you'll miss em otherwise

So when my girlfriend was on her back shouting 'Yes, Yes' she was counting meteors?

A more popular meteor shower in recent years is the Leonids, around 18th of November, which are caused when the earth passes through the trail of dust left behind by Comet Tempel-Tuttle which passed earths orbit in 1999. This caused a magnificent meteor 'Storm' on the morning of November 18th 1999. As this particular comet orbits the Sun every 33 years along the same path, the earth passes through different dust paths left from previous orbits of the comet. And its the same for many of the other meteor showers throughout the year. :confused:

If you're going to do it lying on your back, you need to know where to look.
The "W" of Cassiopeia is usually easy to spot.

_46189152_perseids_466.gif

Sponsored Links
Back