Slate steps in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

This is my first post, looks like a great forum, certainly could be useful for a diy numpty like myself!

I would like to make 3 one metre wide steps, up the soil bank beneath this tree

DSC09709.jpg

I had thought of placing the slate, then tapering the soil to the side of it, then building a stone wall on the vertical side of each step.
Does this make sense?

Also, would I need to place anything beneath the slate for it to sit on? or could it go directly onto soil?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi a few basic pointers to get you started.

Unless you have 6inch thick lumps of slate you will need to create some basic concrete foundations if you want your steps to last at all and also you need to think what you want to use as risers.

Simply grading the soil back at each side leaves a problem area which is difficult to cut if left as grass or prone to washing dirt over your nice steps if left as bare earth.

Ideally you want to retain the edges and then build steps within this rather than lay the treads and build off that as its a poor construction method and more prone to failure.

How about simple cut sleepers set vertically to retain the edges? Here's one i made earlier

View media item 43862

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back