slates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all about to start a job on monday involving cement fibre slates am i right in thinking these need to be battened and centre nailed the guy i m doing them for wants them head nailed onto the boarding but i m pretty sure they need to be battened and centre nailed any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the client wants it nailed through the copper disc rivet hole lol

Yup, they should be centre nailed to battens and held at the tail with a copper disc rivet. Counter battens should also be utilised

Thanks to both what is the reason for this is it for wind uplift is there any other reasons for using the battens just wanting to give the guy clear reasons thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If head nailed the fixing is very weak against the wind uplift as you say, the CDR is to keep the tail of the slate down when it curls as fibre slates curl up in direct sunlight and lay back down of an evening (which is why fibre cement slates cannot be used second hand)

I must be missing somthing here... centre nailed?
They come preholed both for nails and CDRS nail holes are not central the cdr hole is though..
batten the roof 250mm gauge for a 600x300 assuming a reasonable pitch. two nails and one rivet they will not go anywhere.

cheers guys was meaning side nailed m8 always called it centre nailed for some reason. cheers

They come preholed both for nails and CDRS nail holes are not central the cdr hole is though..
batten the roof 250mm gauge for a 600x300 assuming a reasonable pitch. two nails and one rivet they will not go anywhere.
Like i said "shoulder nailed" ;)

Knowsit..........

Some sense from a forum user for once lol

Is that like black jack or gripfix?

Is that like black jack or gripfix?
Your wasted as a roofer you should be a comedian but then again i suppose village idiot is pretty close.By the way who uses gripfix?you? :rolleyes: PS,Shoulder holed/nailed is the correct term.

Just been to see the job today the slate are fibre cement however there are no nail holes pre drilled is it a case of holing them individually what about the copper rivets i know that the rivet goes inbetween the two slates underneath the slate that is going on top if that makes sense is it a case of drilling each of these individually. Do all fibre cement slates need copper rivets you would have thought they would have came pre-drilled if that was the case sure i have seen some that dont need the rivets but cant remember where. Thats the worst about doing a job when the customer has already aquired the materials thinking of telling him just to buy welsh slate which is on the main roof. Any help appreciated

Usually the only blanks you get are double slates. I seem to recall one FC slate that didn't use a rivet but can't remember the name.

Might be an idea to check that he hasn't got asbestos slates from somewhere (be surprised if he has though).

One alternative would be to hook fix the slates, that'll save you holing them all (apart from the edge slates of course)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back