Sleeper walls gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm self building a rear extension and have a quick query regarding sleeper walls. On one side I have a vertical waste pipe so it would mean that my sleeper wall is only about 45mm away from the existing wall and I wanted to check if this was enough. (I'm using sleeper walls as this was BCO s suggestion due to the dpc level sitting mid joist height.) The wall will consist of a course of honeycombed concrete commons cut down to get a half brick height ,2 courses of honeycomb brick with dpc then plate on top.
My other question was does this final course need to be a full course rather than honeycomb in order to seat the dpc properly or would I dpc each brick then bed plate that way.
Thanks for any help recieved!

Attachments

• 16688611220838600420804479901940.jpg
    16688611220838600420804479901940.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
Why not just stop the sleeper wall where the soil pipe is? You won't be able to sit a joist on it in line with the soil pipe anyway (may need to put a small trimmer in and form an opening, depending where the joists land).

Usually top course is continuous but depends how many courses there are. If you want to keep gaps then you could put a timber wall plate on top so you can nail the joists down onto the sleeper wall and not worry about the gaps. Get treated timber and treat the cut ends.

Thanks for replying George.
Reason for wanting it over the pipe is because one of my joists lands right over it and I was trying to keep the joist layout simple to fit in underfloor heating insulation (stuff that has the pipes laid into it) although sure I could work around the trimmer. If the sleeper isn't too close to existing wall at 45mm then by the time sleeper and wall plate are on I should have enough clearance between joist and top of soil (this currently has a manifold with the temp kitchen running into it but will eventually just have a single socket drain connector in it with one 40mm waste into it) hence wondering if I'm too close to wall as that would be ideal solution.
The continuous course for plate makes more sense in my mind, it's basically 1 course of 50mm with gaps, 1 course of 80mm with gaps then the final course of 80mm no gaps.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back