Sleeved Brass Bolt – Garden Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a teak garden table and chairs a while back. Unfortunately a number of the bolts that connect the chairs, and act as pivots when the chairs are folded, have broken and need replacing. The original company seems to have gone out of business. I can best describe these bolts as brass sleeved bolts – both ends have a carriage bolt slotted type head (without the normal protrusion under the head itself) and one part has a threaded sleeve (female) and the other part has threaded shaft off the head (male). I’ve tried hardware shops and the Internet but cannot locate a source for replacements. Really grateful for any pointers :)

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture & give some dimensions?

Try googling Tubular bolts...I'm sure there will be something suitable.

Wotan

I've tried to search the Internet for Tubular Bolts but cannot locate these items - it normally comes back with mortice type door latches.

Sponsored Links
Try searching for interscrews. Many of these are file binding posts (Chicago screws) and some are made for joining together kitchen cabinets, but you may find something suitable for your needs (possibly designed for marine applications).

You may be able to use a standard bolt with a section of copper as a sleeve.?

Did you ever find any of the bolts you were looking for as I have similar problem? Bolts I need are for a teak swinging chair have got bent, they have an allen key head and a female threaded sleeve with an allen key head, bolt length is 80mm, I cannot find any anywhere. Thanks

I'm still having problems locating these items. Xerxes kindly provided the name of interscrew (Chicago bolts) which opened up a new search area. I located a source in New Zealand but they only seem to deal in bulk orders. My interscrews are brass domed and slotted heads on both sides. Still searching for a source………………. :confused:

.....Unfortunately a number of the bolts that connect the chairs, and act as pivots when the chairs are folded, have broken and need replacing.....

If the bolts have broken, that suggests to me that the design of the pivots was inadequate in the first place.

.....The original company seems to have gone out of business.....
Ditto...

Maybe you would be better off seeking to improve the design of the pivots rather than seeking direct replacements for components that seem prone to premature failure.

Brass may appear to be a good choice for appearance and corrosion resistance, but it is a relatively weak material when loaded with shear stresses.

High tensile steel, or even stainless steel would be a better choice from that point of view.

Maybe a standard button head or pan head stainless steel bolt fitted with a pair of washers, a thin nut and a domed nut as a locknut would do the job, or use a clevis pin retained with a circlip?

can you post some pics of the joints?

Here is a picture of a brass bolt and sleeve that I am looking for. Don't know if it's the same as the OP'ers. Bolt looks to be about M4 size, perhaps sleeve needs a 5mm hole. It's about 50mm long.

Can anybody help? Just to know the name of what I'm searching for would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back