sliding mdf doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

Does anyone know of a cheap solution for some internal sliding security doors? We have heavy-duty shelving installed in a storeroom and these require sliding doors on the front of them, so they can be locked. I am using 18mm mdf for the doors 2.4m h * 1.7m w and they have to slide in front and behind one another (there are 2 doors for each section and there are two sections so 4 doors in all). I have sourced some sliding gear from a supplier in the UK, which is made by a company called Koblenz. When I received the quote I nearly fell over. For some simple tracking and runners they quoted nearly £300. I have tried to bypass the supplier but have not managed to locate the Koblenz website to source direct. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how these doors can be fitted and alternative sources for sliding door mechanisms. The doors have to be secure (hence 18mm mdf), sliding and non-removable from the front.

Thank you in advance

Dr mendit

Sponsored Links
Hi,
What are the actual sizes of each door? I assume 2 doors front and 2 rear in an opening of 2.4m h x 1.7m w?
The main problem you will find with a cheaper track is that they are simply not designed to carry the weight of such large MFD doors. I have used Slik tracking before and added extra fixings to the track and an extra runner on each door. Add to that pleanty of Vaseline on the runners to reduce friction.
It is important that the doors are top hung to prevent them bowing under the weight and binding against each other over time.
If you use a system where the doors are hung from the front, a possible solution to the security aspect is to have a pelmet fixed with butterfly screws and then fill over the screw heads. The pelmet will prevent the doors being lifted far enough forward to be removed without taking the pelmet off.
Hope this helps?
frank308d

Hi

If you have to use such heavy doors then you could try the Slik Ball bearing runners they are not cheap at around £15 for a 750mm length. just butt together for longer sections.

Failing that then you could try machine building systems in Milton Keynes. They have various types of runners. They would have something to do the job, but again not cheap

Sponsored Links
Sorry about the long delay guys I had problems locating the web page i had used.
Thankyou gadgetman. I did consider ball-bearings on the bottom of the door with the top and bottom of the mdf fitted into a channel for guidance, but i couldn't find any ball bearings to do the job (i even considered a ball catch used for a door but of course the ball bearing pushes in on a spring!
Thanks Frank308d I eventually settled for a top hung system using trolley wheels on a track and spivots on the bottom of the door to fit in the guides. The doors are a bit flimsy though and I have considered using some L shaped angle steel on either end of the door for strength (i used this on another job with good success) :) Covered the front of the top runner with some fascia and used push pin locks (1 for each door) and job was a success.

cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back