Sliding doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some advice. During construction of an extension I gained a large cupboard space which I put sliding doors on. The doors are rather large and I used 18mm MDF. The problem is that the doors are bowed and MDF does not hold the scrwes secuerely. They are also very heavy and strain the joist I put the rail on.

I wonder what material I could use for large doors which would not bow, be lighter and take screws. I would need to buy from B&Q or similar as delivery charges from builders are prohibitive. I was considering making four narrower doors also.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I guess your sliding doors are resting on the bottom, rather than hanging from the top.
Or is it bowing because of humidity? Is the mdf sealed?
You could use thinner MDF and support it from the top. Are you using proper sliding door gear?
As you know, doors are generally constructed to be light and strong by having a perimeter frame with a light infill panel. Do you do joinery?

I would install loft board, aka particle board, this is very strong and will take the weight; mdf just turns to cardboard mush if screwed into.

Sponsored Links
Hi Reg

The sliding gear is top of doors. I papered the doors and I think this caused the bowing with wet paste. The screws holding the gear wheels seem ok but anything else screwed into MDF and the screws seems to lose it's grip with use like handles etc.

At the moment doors are 18x1223x2220mm hanging from Henderson's tracked rail. I have had to tighten screws holding rail in the past and I think this is because the doors are just too heavy. As I said I was considering more doors but thinner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back