slight shock off the kettle or dishwasher

Perhaps by suggesting some logical steps the guy can take with his multimeter (and the supply isolated) to try and track down the fault further.

If it was me, and as an example, i'd be wanting to check the continuity of the CPC between the consumer unit and the plug sockets in the kitchen as a starting point.

If that checks out, then checking the continuity between the nail and various circuits might help to identify if its actually the nail thats live, and checking continuity between the casings of the appliances and their respective earth pins to ensure the applicances are correctly earthed.

Simple methodical testing should be able to identify where exactly the voltage is coming from, and from there a solution can be worked out.

Sponsored Links
Hi Aragorn,
IMO, The correct advice would be to 'get someone competent and experienced'

Perhaps by suggesting some logical steps the guy can take with his multimeter (and the supply isolated) to try and track down the fault further.

The OP describes "voltages running 'through'" :confused:

He has rectified one symptom of the problem by
"The flooring nails have been insulation taped to prevent the bare foot problems" :eek: foolproof solution, don't you agree?

If it was me, and as an example, i'd be wanting to check the continuity of the CPC between the consumer unit and the plug sockets in the kitchen as a starting point.

"If i touch the kettle with a wet hand, or a cut finger, i get a bit of a shock" :eek:

don't touch the kettle comes to my mind, but not to the OP

If that checks out, then checking the continuity between the nail and various circuits might help to identify if its actually the nail thats live, and checking continuity between the casings of the appliances and their respective earth pins to ensure the applicances are correctly earthed.

Simple methodical testing should be able to identify where exactly the voltage is coming from, and from there a solution can be worked out.
Or, if the OP is not able to do some simple logical testing, get an electrician!

"It's been like it for a good number of years now. Yes, I know that's a dreadful state of affairs. and hell of a dodgy state to be in... Probably a wake up call.. " id say definately

shocks...from floor...kettle...dishwasher...earth lead hanging behind kitchen cupboard...dreadful state of affairs...been like it for years

guys guys guys, I never meant to start an arguement on the forum, or cause division.

I'm not adversed to calling in professional help, but am interested to learn. I am pretty proficient at most things and have previously re-wired an old house prior to getting it certified as being all good. simarly so the electric shower in this property and three years later it's not caused me any issues.

So, understanding a basics of how it all links together I know does not give me the understanding of a flaw in a circuit, but it at least gives me a head start. My question was one of advise as to what it may be so I could look see (with due diligence). i.e. it's a DIY web site (I fully appreciate my limitations, but want to learn more through experience).

I thank everyone for their concern for my safety - believe me it's apprciated. May sound like I'm having a pop at folk, i'm not but realise it might be read that way so thought I'd mention the fact... you know, in case.

Some more details:
The floor is wooden tongue and groove secured to the solid concrete floor (it's not a suspended floor) with nails. Both the kettle and dishwasher are earthed at the plug, but the earth appears to have a current flowing through it.

standing in a puddle of water with and bare feet isn't uncommon when i wash up, but so far it's not given more than a tingle in a cut finger or a softer skinned part of the body (say a wrist) given this, I don't make a habit of washing up with bare feet - in case! risk to the family is minimal as I mostly live on my own save for occasional willing victims.

Like i say, advice as to the problems' likely causes, are sought, but not if you're uncomfortable in doing so.

Thanks again to all for feed back so far.

L

Hello Mr. Bucket,

Im all in favour of 'helping someone out' and have done so in the past. Its just that with the problem you describe, although your perception is one of 'annoyance', to my mind, it takes just one slight change in the situation and it could go from 'annoying' to 'lethal' in a fraction of a second, with out warning.

Gimme 6 numbers between 1 and 49 for saturday, please you seem to have good luck, so far. :D ;)

I don't doubt you ability to work through a problem, its often the best way to learn, but waiting around for titbits of good/bad/other advice from unknown people who will accept no responsibility if they get it wrong is not the right way to go.

Waiting for help here serves only to delay you in getting a professional Electrician (or 17th edition scumbag, according to eniacs) in to sort it out.

Ill leave any further scraps of information to Johnmelad, Eniacs and Aragorn84 who seem to have a differing point of view. :cool:

Sponsored Links
....although your perception is one of 'annoyance', to my mind, it takes just one slight change in the situation and it could go from 'annoying' to 'lethal' in a fraction of a second, with out warning.
OK, point duely taken (I think reading the posts to date I have begun to realise it may worse than a missing earthing strap) of some sort).

Gimme 6 numbers between 1 and 49 for saturday, please you seem to have good luck, so far.
7, 9, 18, 27, 31, 46. Only applicable on the Wednesday lotto... I'm frankly not that lucky.

....but waiting around for titbits of good/bad/other advice from unknown people who will accept no responsibility if they get it wrong is not the right way to go.
I hear you.

Thanks again for your sage advice.

If they come up there will be so many DIYnot readers with those numbers then your share will get you to Bogner Regis on an excursion coach rather than Dubai by Emirates First Class

oh god noooooo!

a weekend in bognor with BAS! :LOL:

sshhhh, don't tell anyone else about this post until next week :cool:

Come on guys - if your electricians help this guy out - this is a diy forum not another place for you pros to come and suggest he call in some scumbag with a 17th ed ticket who will charge £40 an hour for a job this guy could do with his multimeter!
Why don't you just go away?

If you find you have any readings above 2 Ohms then your have proved that you have a life threatening fault.

Where did you get that little gem from ?

You're quite correct - this is not a good approach. I was trying to give some tests that could be performed with a standard multimeter and guide through, but you have given me a wake-up call not to post advice to non-electricians after a couple of glasses of wine.

The situation is just too dangerous to advise anything but seeking proper help.

Won't happen again. So I have edited it away.

Thanks

Martin

tinbucket, I think you should change your name to 'wooden box'.

I could suggest solutions to the electrical problem, but that would'nt address your medical problem - go and see your doctor.

Was that insult really necessary? He has been nothing but polite and agreeable.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious? surely the solution is not to tread on the nail in the first place?

OK I'll get my coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back