Slighty Rotten Window Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

i decided it would be a good idea to strip and paint my windows, however doing this has revealed a section of a window that is very damp and is of course crumbling away....

I cant really afford to get a new window frame put in so i am going to try and repair it so that it will last a few more years...

what advice would people give... i plan to cut out as much of the damp wood as i can.. then apply some Ronseal Wet Rot Wood Hardener and then fill it in with some wood filler.. is this the best way to go about this???..should i use another product??

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
I've never seen a repair like the one you describe last more than a couple of years. The flexing of the old timber in response to temperature/humidity changes always cracks it away from the filler, letting the weather back in. If you can manage it I'd replace the whole section of infected timber. Even this is a bit iffy - no substitute for a new frame.

that ronseal stuff is very good,weve used it in the past.remove most of the rotton timber then paint this stuff on and it seems to strenghten the timber then fill,etc etc.

Chemicals are quite good. Personally, I'd fill the gap with a bit of timber if it's big enough to do so, using an external nonails type glue and/or scres into the adjoining existing timber. Make sure it it well painted over, and touch up any minor cracks in the paintwork if they appear.

Sponsored Links
I've repaired most of the windows in my cottage with wood hardener and high performance filler over the years and generally it has worked well, although it has cracked away from the timber in a few places where there was a lot of filler. It has saved me the expense of new frames, although if I worked out the hours spent doing it, it might have been better to go to work and buy new frames.

i would recommend using a new section of timber - treated or a durable wood. you will still use a bit of filler in the gaps unless you're some amazing carpenter. the wood hardener is worth trying, it can't do any harm.
see if you can provide some drainage to let water out of the wood. i am guessing it is in the sill of the frame or the sash. see if you can drill some holes downwards at an angle towards the outside , giving a path for the wood to dry out. these can be filled at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back