Slime in header tanks and cisterns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed a new gravity fed shower but now the thermostatic shower valve keeps blocking with 'slime' on both the hot and cold supply sides (every couple of weeks). The 'hot' side had a completely blocked pipe (relieved only by pumping air bakc up it). Both supplies come from a loft header tank (hot via the cylinder, cold direct) which turns out to be full of slime.
Toilet cisterns and loft header tank have started to overflow - you've guessed it, ball valves weighed down by slime/valve assembly blcoked by slime.
What is all this slime? Other than draining and flushing/cleaning is there anything else I should/could do? Taking the shower valve off each time is a pain!
Been in this house for 14 years and this all started recently. :(

Sponsored Links
Sounds like serious contamination problems, probably originating in your cold water tank (although I've never seen it as bad as you describe!).

Remembering that you're probably cleaning your teeth with this muck, I suggest you go out tomorrow and get a chlorine-type tank cleaning kit (most proper plumbing shops have them).

Follow ALL the instructions EXACTLY.

Rake out the drowned squirrels, too, and fit top-covers and the lagging kit (I recently learned that it stops the water getting too warm in hot summers, which encourages algae and bacteria - it's not just protection against frost).

BTW, do you have "Town" water, or does it come from a borehole or anything?

I concur - this sounds like the remains of squirrel/mouse/pigeon/rat and/or the result of incubating those remains in the CSS.

Sponsored Links
i would rip out the tank if galvenized and fit a plastic with bye law 30 kit .. this will sort it for 50 pound ish .. :) diy .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back