Sloping Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My ceiling is higher than my eaves, so in the upstairs rooms there is about 80cm of sloping ceiling leading down to each external wall. This sloping bit of ceiling leads down to the eaves, with only a few cm of clearance before you get to roofing felt. ie there's a kind of sloping box down from the floor of the loft (ie the ceiling joists) down to the eaves. The previous occupant of the house had stuffed fibre insulation in here. Now, that's bad for ventilation and I removed this but now I want to re-insulate the loft.

So what do I do with this sloping bit? Posts lower down have suggested thin foil backed stuff such as "tri-iso super 9 by ASctis" , "Airtec Double".

Is this the right stuff? It Should be thin enough to go into the sloping "box" without clogging up the ventilation. Or should I be looking at something else?

If I'm going to the trouble of getting this stuff (which claims to be "equivalent to 55mm polystyrene") should I just do the whole of my loft with it, instead of using regular mineral fibre stuff? It looks like its much less unpleasant to work with than mineral fibre stuff, but ...

How does "55mm polystyrene" compare with regular roll insulation? Now, 55mm (2") strikes me as a bit stingy, seeing as 200mm (8") of fibre seems to be the recommmended level.

Obviously, in the sloping box bit, I have to use something thin, for reasons described above, but can I get away

And a bonus question. I had to go to great lengths to describe my sloping ceiling/eaves arrangement. Does this have a name?

Sponsored Links
Sheeps' wool bats (THIS IS NOT A JOKE). You don't have to worry about ventilation then, as it copes with the moisture, and it's nice to handle - no itchy bits.

Sheeps wool bats eh? I've seen them on some web pages, but never paid much attention to them.

I'll do a bit of research.

Thank ewe! I'll resist the temptation to make any baaaad jokes. That would be shear ingratitiude.

Sponsored Links
I am in a similar house to yourself. I live in a loft conversion and have many of the same issue with insulation as yourself. Did you try the Sheeps wool bats. or did you settle for some thing else. Would be interested to know how you solved your problem. I get a lot of draught in through the eaves so I guess the sheeps wool would prevent that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back