Sloping concrete kitchen floor, surrounded by level floorboard and joist floor. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an Edwardian end of terrace house that has a concrete floor in part of the kitchen and floorboards in the other part. The big problem is the concrete floor slopes massively and is going to cause problems when we take a non load bearing stud wall down, to make a kitchen diner and want a consistent floor covering all the way through. Not a hump in the middle of the floor. The area affected is approx 3.2m x 1.9m.

Please see attached photos of how much the floor slopes. We are talking 30 mm + over a 3.2m length.

Should i dig out the concrete floor and get it replaced with joists? or dig so far down and level it?

I would prefer joists as it will allow for better pipe and cable runs instead of the tortured path they now take.

If I opt for new joists would I need extra ventilation? there is a 450mm-600mm void under the rest of the ground floor so I would dig down to that.

Any advice, either pros and cons of each method would be greatly appreciated.

The images are:

Level(ish) wooden floor, then 2 of concrete floor (un)level, then floor diagram.
Concrete_floor.JPGsloping_floor.JPGwooden_floor.JPG

The Blue area is the concrete floor, the rest is floorboards. I suspect there was a stud wall on the right hand side of the blue area and there is defiantly a stud partition on the left, which is coming out.

kitchen floor.png

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but you haven't made it very clear exactly which way the floor slopes. Can you redo the plan to show the direction of the fall.

In essence though, if you want the floor level, then yes, take down the concrete so that it clears the new joists (so not necessary to take it right down) and then level the floor over it's entirety.

Sponsored Links
Is there a drop on the wooden floor as well then, or only the wooden floor Has there been any subsidence as 30mm is a lot to drop.

Wooden floor level (as one of the pics show), seems to have been poor application of concrete!

There is a door to the outside on that wall and it just seems to slope down from there.

Then as I suggested earlier, just take out as much concrete as necessary to get the joists in, and level the floor right across. If one side is still lower, then you can sister 4x2s alongside the existing joists to bring the height up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back