Slow draining basis waste probs - not a blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I set of B&Q taps earlier in the year as part of a bathroom refurb earlier in the year but a problem with the basin draining slowly due to the pop up waste not popping up very far.

Remove the pop up waste plug and the basin drains very quickly and freely. But the throw on the lever that raises and lowers the waste isn't sufficient to raise the plug far enough that there is much of a drainage path.

I can't get any more throw on the lever because it runs in a slot at the back of the tap. I've tried adjusting the plug position itself but to get it to drain well the plug then doesn't seat and if the plug seats then it doesn't raise far enough to get good drainage.

I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It`s a basin :idea: ;) remove pop up and fit a swivel plug and waste fitting. most plumb. merchants have them

There's usually something like an M5 or M6 screw and locknut in the bottom of the plug to take up the clearance between the operating arm and the bottom of the plug.

If there is a lot of lost motion, and you run out of adjustment before taking up the slack, fitting a longer screw may help.

If you replace the screw, use a stainless steel or brass one - a plain steel one will rust away in no time.

The plug only needs to lift about 1/2" clear of the waste for maximum flow.

It`s a basin :idea: ;) remove pop up and fit a swivel plug and waste fitting. most plumb. merchants have them

It is indeed a basin!

A swivel plug is a very good idea if i can't do anything with the pop up waste.

Thank you for that idea. I didn't know they existed.

Sponsored Links
There's usually something like an M5 or M6 screw and locknut in the bottom of the plug to take up the clearance between the operating arm and the bottom of the plug.

If there is a lot of lost motion, and you run out of adjustment before taking up the slack, fitting a longer screw may help.

If you replace the screw, use a stainless steel or brass one - a plain steel one will rust away in no time.

The plug only needs to lift about 1/2" clear of the waste for maximum flow.

Unfortunately its not that. The screw is resting on the operating arm, its just that there isn't enough travel on the arm to lift the plug high enough to get decent flow. You can adjust the screw to the sink to drain well but then the plug doesn't seal properly or you can have the plug seal properly but then it won't open high enough to get decent drainage flow.

Seems like a crap design to be frank!

On the clamp that holds the two popup lever arms together under the basin, loosen the screw that clamps the horizontal arm. Slide the clamp towards the waste outlet as far as it will go without obstructing the movement of the mechanism, then retighten the screw. This should solve the problem without having to put a nasty swivel waste in

On the clamp that holds the two popup lever arms together under the basin, loosen the screw that clamps the horizontal arm. Slide the clamp towards the waste outlet as far as it will go without obstructing the movement of the mechanism, then retighten the screw. This should solve the problem without having to put a nasty swivel waste in

Bending the vertical link to follow the shape of the back of the basin can help bring the clamp closer to the pivot of the horizontal link

:idea:

I'm a plonker!

I've done exactly the opposite and slid it as far away from the waste as possible!

As soon as you said that and i thought a bit more about the geometry it all makes sense. By moving the clamp away from the pivot point i've actually reduced the travel of the plug rather than increasing it.

Thank you very much!

Bending the vertical link to follow the shape of the back of the basin can help bring the clamp closer to the pivot of the horizontal link

That's good advice, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back