Slow fibre optic but all seems ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fibre optic has gone so slow with a download speed off 1.5mbps during the day and 0.7mbps at night. I have been using a wireless device (chromebook) to test the speed.

Just dug my old laptop out and connectec the ethernet to my router. On the small little wireless icon bottom right hand corner of screen (connection status) it states 65Mbps but when i do a speed test it is 1.5Mbps again.

Does this sound like a problem with my set up? Have not touched it since installation. Talk Talk just give you the run around and want to send engineer but will charge £65 if no fault found.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I had a similar just recently, service provider could not find any faults on the lines, but replaced router and tweaked up my signal. Been fine ever since.

Rang up and went through the usual routine.
Picked days for engineer but working fine as of yesterday. Wasn't informed of an update etc but least it's working. Potential fault on their part somewhere.

Have you tried connecting to the router via an ethernet cable? Wifi does lose a bit of speed as there's another layer of connection to the router (same with wireless mice etc.) ;)

Sponsored Links
Note: this post assumed that by "fibre optic" you reffer to openreach's fibre to the cabinet service. Personally I think it's misleading to reffer to this as "fibre optic" but that shipped sailed a long time ago with virgin media's marketing. I've also realised that your problem has actually gone away for now but I post this for reference anyway in case it comes back.

The connection speed reported by windows for a network connection is the nominal speed of the connection media for the immediate connection to your computer. Unless you are using dialup or similar service that is "dialed" directly from your PC it tells you nothing about the speed of your internet connection. For wireless it can be wildly inaccurate even with regards to the immediate connection.

You don't make it clear how you are connecting your laptop. You mention "plugging it in" but you also mention a wireless connection speed. You need to be clear about which connection (wired or wireless) you are actually using when you run your test (best way is probablly to disable all but one connction to make sure you are using the one you think you are using.

If you get good results on wired (after checking that you really are using wired) but crap on wireless then you have a wireless issue, changing channels may help but if interference is bad enough there may be little you can do.

If you get equally bad results on wired and wireless it's time to move on to more "internet" side things.

If you can log into your router you should be able to find out the "sync speed" this will tell you how fast your connection is to the FTTC cabinet If your sync speed is bad the next thing to check is the phone wiring, ideally there should be a single filter at the point of entry. Openreach did this as standard on engineer installs but if you have one of the more recent self installs then you may have a crappier setup.

If the sync speed is bad and you have ruled out problems with your internal phone wiring then it's time to get an engineer out to look at the line (the engineer will be an openreach engineer but the booking has to be done through your ISP)

If the sync speed looks fine but internet access over a wired connection is bad then your likely problem is congestion in your ISPs network, time to move to a different ISP.

Back