Network problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a desktop computer and a Mac laptop.
Desktop is Windows XP.
I receive Virgin Broadband 20Mb their TV and Telephone services.

The modem is also a wireless router and has been set up to the Laptop and works fine.
The Desktop is connected to the modem via an ethernet cable but only downloads at less than 3Mb per second but has a 20Mb connection.
However, when the laptop is connected directly to the modem via the Ethernet cable it downloads at about 18Mb oer second so it is working properly.
The desktop is just so slow at downloading. Virgin said there was a problem with my desktop as to WHY it would not download as quickly as it should do. So I am paying for 20Mb service but only getting a 3Mb service.
I have an integrated NVIDIA NForce 10/100/1000 network adapter which Device manager says is working just fine.

Any possible solutions please
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Try it at different times of the day, I pay for 8Mbps, sometimes I get 6Mbps, other times I only get 1Mbps, tonight I only get a pathetic 680Kbps :cry:

The 20Mb service will be "Up to" and not guaranteed.

However, if you laptop is getting better performance than the desktop, with the same patch lead, same sites and at or around the same time of day, I would look again at your desktop as the Internet service sounds ok.

It could be a variety of things from port negotiation or duplex settings on the nic, or just that your desktop is in need of a service. An untidy machine could lead to the perception of slow downloads.

Have you tried using one of the speedtest sites on both your laptop and desktop to determine if the results are similar?

Thank you.
The Mac laptiop downloads at more than 18Mb when directly connected to the Modem/router and at the same time of day regardless, but the desktop only downloads at 3.00Mb at the same time of day.

I have used a number of speedtest sites on both computers and this only verifies what I have said re download speeds when they are separately connected to the modem via an ethernet cable.

The set-up is the desktop is directly connected with an Ethernet cable to the Modem router and then the laptop is connected via this wireless router.
There is definitely something wrong with my desktop as to the downloads being very slow.
The desktop is relatively new (2 years)
This is a summary of my Hardware......................................
All drivers have been updated but still had the same problem before updating.

Mainboard : Asus M2N32 WS Professional
Chipset : nVidia nForce 590 SLI
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ @ 2800 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T
CD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B
Monitor Type : Maxdata Computer B101927 - 19 inches
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
DirectX : Version 9.0c (July 2008)

Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated and I will have a look at the Duplex settings which should be set to what exasctly.
Port settings or which port I use has a bearing on this as well. I don't really know.
Many thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
The first thing I would try is to repeat your downloads/speed tests whilst Windows is in Safe Mode.

Restart the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get the Startup Options menu. Select Safe mode with Networking. Retry the tests and report back.

Thank you Igorian,
I have tried as you suggested and tried using a speedtest in safe mode/networking and got the same result.
Desktop result: Ping 11ms
Download 3.39Mbs

Laptop is: Ping 5ms
Download is 17.89Mbs

Any further solutions to this problem.?

Ok, lets check your nic.

Open device manager (Click Start, then Run and in the box, type devmgmt.msc)

Locate Network Adaptors and click the cross next to it.
Highlight the adaptor (nic), right click and select properties.
What appears next will depend on the nic, but you should see an Advanced tab. Select it. Have a look for something that says link speed and duplex mode. They may be combined or separate. What are they set to?

Thank you Igorian,

In Device Manager the sub-heading of Network-Adaptors has two sub-headings and both state the same thing.......
NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet #3 and....
NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet #4.

Under the Advanced Tab.................
In both the Speed/Duplex settings they are set to "Auto Negotiation"

Thanks.

Does the PC actually have 2 ethernet ports?

You could try manually setting them to 100 Full, but I suspect this won't make any difference.

Have a look at this too.

Set the slider to match you expected speed and then check the Optimal Settings radio button. Click apply and then restart. Again, i've never seen much of an improvement myself.

Does the PC actually have 2 ethernet ports?

NOT SURE.

Set the slider to match you expected speed and then check the Optimal Settings radio button. Click apply and then restart. Again, i've never seen much of an improvement myself.

THE TCP/OPTIMIZER WORKED BRILLIANTLY ON MY DESKTOP WHICH NOW HAS A DOWNLOAD SPEED OF ALMOST 20Mbps BUT NOW THE lAPTOP IS SLOW.
A COMPLETE REVERSAL OF DOWNLOAD SPEEDS WHEN THEY SHOULD BOTH BE THE SAME.

I'm glad it worked. You must have had some ropey settings :D

How much slower? You will never achieve the maximum all the time, if at all. You could try the same on the laptop, although check it works with the O/S installed on it first.

Download speeds have now reversed almost exactly.
Laptop is now 2Mbps where Desktop is 19 to 20 Mbps.

Shouldn't they both be the same?

They are unlikely to ever be the same. Without being able to see, it's difficult to know the exact issue.

Have you run the optimiser on your laptop?

Sponsored Links
Back