Wireless connection stuck on "acquiring network address

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a wireless netgear router and a laptop which connects to it via a netgear stick.
Also connected to it is my desktop pc via an ethernet cable.

I am having problems with a 2nd laptop not connecting to the wireless network / router.
It connects ie picks up the wireless signals, but the status of the connection is "Acquiring Network Address".
And, it is sutck there leaving me with no capability to surf the net.

Any suggestions or ideas to resolve the problem - I have tried a few myself but no luck so far?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could be that it's not authenticating correctly.

Turn off all software firewalls that you have.

Check the router logs to see if an ipaddress is being issued.

Check your encryption keys/MAC filtering etc.

Agree with Igorian, it does sound like an authentication problem. Mine did this when I had WPA enabled and put the wrong password in my laptop (case sensitive).

Sponsored Links
I have WPA.

The password key is correct as there is connection, but somehow the router is not assigning an IP address to the laptop...
The DHCP is enabled mind you, so cannot figure out why it is stuck on status "acquiring network address"
Apparently, this is a common problem people face sometimes...
MAC address of laptop has been assigned to router's configuration for wireless link-up.
Firewall is off on laptop.

i've tried to disable security to see if there is connection but still same problem...
I have one last trick up my sleeves ie to reset the router from the beginning and start all over. We'll see...

Spark123 said:
I take it by that you prefer WPA Igorian?

WPA as a minimum would be my recommendation, although any is better than none.

DIYm1 said:
I have WPA.

The password key is correct as there is connection, but somehow the router is not assigning an IP address to the laptop...
The DHCP is enabled mind you, so cannot figure out why it is stuck on status "acquiring network address"
Apparently, this is a common problem people face sometimes...
MAC address of laptop has been assigned to router's configuration for wireless link-up.
Firewall is off on laptop.

i've tried to disable security to see if there is connection but still same problem...
I have one last trick up my sleeves ie to reset the router from the beginning and start all over. We'll see...

Often a router reboot works, if all else is correct. Can you post the router logs? Clear them first and then turn on the problematic machine on it's own. Let it try and connect and then post the logs.

Spark123 said:
I take it by that you prefer WPA Igorian?
WPA is a far superior security measure over WEP which has known security issues.

Which OS, and which service pack, do you have installed on the client?

Do you use your laptop on any other wireless connections? If not, why not just disable DHCP on the router and assign a static IP address to the laptop?

Hi
Here is the latest news.
Resetting the router last night did not solve the problem.
Igorian - the router log did not show anything...
The laptop does work with the wireless network at work.
I am wondering if there is a compatibility issue between netgear router and the dell laptop wireless netwrok adapter and Win XP software.
FYI, the dell wireless software is disbled on my laptop, so interference is not the problem here.
I will try to change the wpa password and see - because currently i have a 63 asci password...
will keep you posted!
Thanks

WaveyDave - I tried your suggestion last week ie assigning the ip address manually etc (disabling dhcp), and I thought I cracked it because the status said Connected.
However, I could not surf the net and looking at the router's log for attached device, I concluded, there was no link up to the router in the first place.
Thanks for the suggestion..

DIYm1 said:
WaveyDave - I tried your suggestion last week ie assigning the ip address manually etc (disabling dhcp), and I thought I cracked it because the status said Connected.
However, I could not surf the net and looking at the router's log for attached device, I concluded, there was no link up to the router in the first place.
Thanks for the suggestion..

When you had the connected status, could you ping/access the router from the laptop? What channel have you got the router transmitting on? Reason I ask is that I have a Linksys WAP that won't work with my laptop on channel 1.

Sponsored Links
Back