Connection problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an old hp Nc4000 and replaced the Hard drive after it failed, running XP pro all up and running and can connect to web thru Ethernet connection but wireless is causing problems, connects to modem easily [currently have another laptop connecting to web wirelessly without problem] but gets stuck when ''acquiring network address'' , anyone know what boxes I have to tick to solve this one? Seems it does not have IP address and cannot remember how I solved similar problem last year.

Sponsored Links
if your router gives out IP addresses automatically (DHCP) as most do by default then it sounds like you have a wireless comms issue. Are you sure you have the correct wireless setup in the laptop ?

Had to reset my (DHCP) manually on my Mac today after loosing connection on my modem [have a pc,two laptops and Mac using the same modem] this problem occurred before this loss and still remains on the nc4000 though all other units connect ok.Not sure what settings I need to address?

Hi,

Are you sure you have set the correct wireless credentials in the laptop ? As it's gone to ''acquiring network address'' it sounds like the SSID (wireless network name is correctly set....provided it's connected to your router and not someones close by ;) ) so it sounds like an encryption problem.....what encryption are you using on your wireless network e.g. WEP, WPA, WPA2 ?

You call it your "modem" but do you mean your router ? make and model to confirm please if you are unsure.

Is the wireless built into the laptop or have you installed a card or USB dongle ?

Are you using Windows to control the wireless card or the manufacturers program ?

Sponsored Links
1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click Network Connections.
3. In Network Connections, click to select your wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection.
4. On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.

Tried to follow the above directions on microsoft page but I can see No 'wireless network tab' just General or Advanced?

Hi,

Are you sure you have set the correct wireless credentials in the laptop ? As it's gone to ''acquiring network address'' it sounds like the SSID (wireless network name is correctly set....provided it's connected to your router and not someones close by ;) ) so it sounds like an encryption problem.....what encryption are you using on your wireless network e.g. WEP, WPA, WPA2 ? wpa

You call it your "modem" but do you mean your router ? make and model to confirm please if you are unsure.router wireless Sadem

Is the wireless built into the laptop or have you installed a card or USB dongle ? built in

Are you using Windows to control the wireless card or the manufacturers program ?
windows

It's now stopped connecting with router?

Back