can't network pc's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm a bit rubbish and basic with pcs but wondered if anyone could help. I have just swapped my netgear dg 834n router in for a belkin fsd 8630-4. With the netgear my wireless laptop and hard wired router could see each other and share files and printers. With the belkin however no such luck. I have created and added in the network setup countless times and restarted but no joy. I can ping my desktop and router from my wirelkess laptop and can ping the router from the desktop but cannot ping the laptop. Please help am I missing something extremely basic?

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, is the laptop hardwired to the Belkin or are you actually using the wireless connection?

Desktop is hardwired and the laptop is wireless, I think all the firewalls are turned off except for the router.

Sponsored Links
Some suggestions...

The windows firewall can be an issue, so make sure it is off for now.

Connect the laptop via the cable to eliminate initial network problems with the laptop.

Are you using any form of wireless encryption? If so, turn it off until you get a connection.

Have you enabled wireless on the router?

Are you using static ip addresses or DHCP?

Igorian said:
Some suggestions...

The windows firewall can be an issue, so make sure it is off for now.

Hi, windows firewall is off on both

Igorian said:
Connect the laptop via the cable to eliminate initial network problems with the laptop.

Will try that in the morning

Igorian said:
Are you using any form of wireless encryption? If so, turn it off until you get a connection.

I am yes I'm using wpa2

Igorian said:
Have you enabled wireless on the router?

Haven't seen any setting for that but the internet connection works fine off both machines.

Igorian said:
Are you using static ip addresses or DHCP?

I was dhcp but have now set them both up with static ips.

Ah, I misread your first post.

Both XP machines?

Have you got any other security packages installed?

Try this ping on both machine and report results:

PING 127.0.0.1

Can you post the ipaddresses & masks of PCs and router and the gateway address that you set?

You could also try reverting to DHCP.

I can ping my desktop and router from my wirelkess laptop and can ping the router from the desktop but cannot ping the laptop
indicates that the connectivity is fine, wireless if any has authenticated otherwise the lappy wouldnt be able to ping both.
Sounds definately like a firewall on the lappy.

Many thanks for your help, I turned off the firewall on norton internet security last night and this morning we have communication. Simple but I would never have found it.

If you run the wizard in Norton, you can specify your new network as a trusted zone. Better still, try the uninstall button. :D

Igorian said:
Ah, I misread your first post.

Both XP machines?

Have you got any other security packages installed?

Try this ping on both machine and report results:

PING 127.0.0.1

Can you post the ipaddresses & masks of PCs and router and the gateway address that you set?

You could also try reverting to DHCP.

Why would a ping of 127.0.0.1 help, that surely just shows your NIC is communicating ?

If it replies, it eliminates the possibility that there is a problem with the TCP stack on the PC that can't ping a remote machine.

Well fair enough, but he could already ping (ICMP) the remote machine, so the IP stack was fine.

It was a simple information gathering exercise. Let's face it, had he provided ALL the information, such as having NIS installed, it would have been clear what the issue was. Instead, he said he thought all firewalls were turned off, hence the need for more information.

Sponsored Links
Back