Wireless mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a laptop running XP, and have been using it at work with a USB wireless card. No problems.
However, when I bring it home, it recognises the network, tries to connect, but can't.
The router at home is exactly the same as the one at work (Belkin mimo something or other).
My other laptop has no problems connecting to either network.
A pc at home with XP and a USB card also has no problems connecting at home.
Does anyone have any clues what might be a solution?

Sponsored Links
Do you have wireless encryption WPA or similar?
Have you got the password correct for it (case sensitive) ?

Spark, yes there is encryption. It doesn't ask me for the password - it just tries to connect and then says it can't.
I don't think I turned on MAC address filtering. How would I know?
Should I?

Sponsored Links
Spark, yes there is encryption. It doesn't ask me for the password - it just tries to connect and then says it can't.
I don't think I turned on MAC address filtering. How would I know?
Should I?

is it the same type of encryption eg :-

WPA2 WPA WEP etc?

You may need to delete the connection if your laptop has remembered it, and re-enter the SSID. As a quick sanity check, does it work if you connect via Ethernet?

If its a work laptop are there any policy settings on it that deny access to other networks?

Could your work laptop have a manually assigned TCP/IP lan connection and your home belkin is acting as a DHCP server, but obviously not able to assgin and IP to your works laptop, thus it can't get on the network?

kj,
Sorry you're losing me there.

When I set up the laptop at work, it detected the network, prompted for password, and connected.
At home, it detects the network, then just says it can't connect.

Should I be able to identify anything wrong by comparing any settings on the laptop with similar settings on the pc. Or are the settings controlled by the Belkin site?

I will try to have a look at it tonight.
I'll delete all the connections and let it start again.
Where do I check if I've got the right encryption type?

Eddie, do you mean use a lead to connect it to the router?

kj,
Sorry you're losing me there.

When I set up the laptop at work, it detected the network, prompted for password, and connected.
At home, it detects the network, then just says it can't connect.
1. Ok, if your WAN adaptor has been manually setup with an IP address for your works network and relevent subnet and gateway. Then you're unlikely to be able to connect to your home network as it will no doubt have different network settings.
You can check this by right clicking the windows wireless adaptor icon in your system tray (bottom right of screen) > Status > Properties > Internet protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties. If the values are empty then that isn't your problem. If however, they are populated, then that could be your problem. Just click the 'obtain IP address manually' and that may fix it.
2. It's also possible, although admittedly, pretty unlikely, that your works I.T dept. have applied a policy on your laptop that only allows it to connect to a specific network (your work one).
3. It could even be operating on a different channel than your works router, for various reasons. Each card/router is slightly different in approach to configuring these settings, so you'd need to have a sniff around yourself.

Should I be able to identify anything wrong by comparing any settings on the laptop with similar settings on the pc. Or are the settings controlled by the Belkin site?
Yes, thats a good place to start. Compare the settings on both. Your router is likely acting as a DHCP server, whereby it hands out IP addresses to anything that connects to it. Unless assigned manually, which usually isn't an issue unless its in a different subnet.
ie. your work network range may be 192.168.0.x, but your home network may be 192.168.2.x See the difference? (3rd octet) which puts them in different subnets.

Oh no, should have let you know earlier....

It's sorted, wasn't even a problem at all, I hadn't previously found the Belkin connection setup box and assumed it would just connect automatically when it found the network, and just prompt for the password (like it did at work).

I could rant about stupid computer problems now, but I won't. Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored Links
Back