Slowly but surely...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The language is changing...

Linky Linky

"Labour will not reverse Brexit. That is the message which will be preached from the shadow cabinet in the months ahead as the general election looms ever closer.

But so too will another message: Labour wants a closer relationship with the European Union. Changes will be made to improve ties with the continent"

Now when closer links improve the UK's outlook, then the inevitable will happen...

They are preparing the ground for when a large enough percentage of brexiteers are in the ground...

Because any political party will sniff the winds of change and act accordingly due to voter renewal (y)

Sponsored Links
Rule Britannia

SEC_170979562-b880.jpg

New public sector lenders created by the government since Brexit are investing two-thirds less than the UK was receiving from the EU’s European Investment Bank, a new report finds.

The EIB invested an average of £6.4bn in the UK between 2009 and 2016 in real terms, peaking at £7.5bn in 2016 – the year of the Brexit referendum. By contrast, the successor institutions created by the government, including the Leeds-based UK Infrastructure Bank (UKIB), invested £2.4bn in 2022 – a third as much as the EIB was spending six years earlier.

The new institutions – which include the Scottish National Investment Bank, the Development Bank of Wales and the British Business Bank – also appear to be less focused on infrastructure projects than the EIB. Between them, they invested just 17% as much in infrastructure projects in 2022 as the EIB did before it began winding down its links with the UK...the UK in a Changing Europe report – titled “The Lending Gap” – argues that the UKIB’s growth will be constrained by strict Treasury limits on lending, imposed to protect taxpayers’ money.

The analysis shows that EIB projects were not evenly spread across the UK. Between 2010 and 2019, the bank invested £858 per capita in Scotland and £773 a head in London – against £180 in Yorkshire and the Humber, for example.

The research finds the only sector in which the domestically backed banks have matched EU institutions is in lending to small and medium-sized businesses.

Get more @ the Guardain

The language is changing...

Linky Linky

"Labour will not reverse Brexit. That is the message which will be preached from the shadow cabinet in the months ahead as the general election looms ever closer.

But so too will another message: Labour wants a closer relationship with the European Union. Changes will be made to improve ties with the continent"

Now when closer links improve the UK's outlook, then the inevitable will happen...

They are preparing the ground for when a large enough percentage of brexiteers are in the ground...

Because any political party will sniff the winds of change and act accordingly due to voter renewal (y)
You carry on with your rejoining the EU pipe dream fantasy because that’s all it will ever be. As long as you’re not dreaming on the job - those bedpans won’t empty themselves.

Sponsored Links
But when Labour’s shadow City minister, Tulip Siddiq, says: “Labour will unlock billions of pounds of private sector investment through our national wealth fund to deliver new gigafactories, clean steel plants and renewable-ready ports across Britain.”

Does it mean increased borrowing for this 'National Wealth Fund' to provide the investment for 'levelling up' which this Tory government has markedly failed to do, or just renaming the existing UKIB and rebranding it in Labour flags?
They make it all sound so simple...

Crap first post. It's all about closer links with europol and nothing else. To allow better communications between our own police services. Particularly on people smugglers.

We have already missed out on a hefty hit on higher level drug dealers by not being in / deciding to not even attempting to join in.

Chinese spies in west minster. Turns out there are 2 China Study Groups with differing views. LOL You can guess which one Duncan is in - want's us to loose that export market too. Only worth £38b now.

But when Labour’s shadow City minister, Tulip Siddiq, says: “Labour will unlock billions of pounds of private sector investment through our national wealth fund to deliver new gigafactories, clean steel plants and renewable-ready ports across Britain.”

Does it mean increased borrowing for this 'National Wealth Fund' to provide the investment for 'levelling up' which this Tory government has markedly failed to do, or just renaming the existing UKIB and rebranding it in Labour flags?
They make it all sound so simple...
I've said it before, it would be very interesting to see what % of pledges e.g. in manifestos have actually been kept and delivered to any real extent over the past 50 years. If Labour gets in, things very likely won't get that much better under them. They'll blame the Tories for the first x years 'we're still cleaning up their mess!' the Tories will get increasingly vocal in opposition, then x years later we'll either be voting Labour or the Tories back in.

Then ... rinse and repeat.

All the time interjected by political waffle such as that you've put in italics.

All Assuming there is not some serious military conflict with the Russians or Chinese ( both )

Than you have the North Koreans and the mad mullers in Iran getting the bomb

I would say a possible nuclear Armageddon in the next 10 years ??

Oh well ***t happens

Further language changes...

Of course no major political party will put a rejoin the EU proposal in their manifesto for next year...

But it will happen at the following one...

Starmer on reworking Brexit: "I say that as a dad. I've got a 15-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl. I'm not going to let them grow up in a world where all I've got to say to them about their future is, it's going to be worse than it might otherwise have been"

"Starmer is a good lawyer, and there was reasoning behind his words this week. But “no case” to rejoin the EU? On the contrary: the case only gets stronger"

We just have to wait until enough brexiteers have popped their clogs...

Voter renewal (y)

Further language changes...

Of course no major political party will put a rejoin the EU proposal in their manifesto for next year...

But it will happen at the following one...

Starmer on reworking Brexit: "I say that as a dad. I've got a 15-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl. I'm not going to let them grow up in a world where all I've got to say to them about their future is, it's going to be worse than it might otherwise have been"

"Starmer is a good lawyer, and there was reasoning behind his words this week. But “no case” to rejoin the EU? On the contrary: the case only gets stronger"

We just have to wait until enough brexiteers have popped their clogs...

Voter renewal (y)

Sponsored Links
Back