SMALL CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My system consists of three rads and a hot water storage tank, the only way that I can heat the water only in summer is to turn off the thermostatic rad valves, because the system is so small the boiler cuts out and has to be re-set. The only way round is to leave the first rad on the circuit on. Not good in summer, Is my boilers theromostat brocken or faulty in some way as that should stop the boiler from over heating. It works when the rads are on.
Please help.

Sponsored Links
Have you a fully pumped system with a three port valve?

If so , it sounds that there is not enough flow through the boiler. Try turning you pump speed up to increase the flow.

Definitely a pumped system, not sure what a three port valve is, but will turn pump speed up.

Although, if the boiler thermostat is faulty it will over heat and cut out even with increased flow ?

What do you recon ?

You should have a 3 port valve which closes off your heating circuit if only hot water required.
Suggest you get your system looked at by an engineer. You should also have a bypass installed to stop your system overheating. :D

Sponsored Links
Bahco
What would be the approx. cost for installing a bypass ? Is it a large job ?

The sun's got to shine on a dogs arse some day ! :p

I can't give you a figure as the mods are watching :LOL:

Not a large job though.

You could remove one of the Trvs off one of your rads, will do the same job but not the done thing these days, as automatic bypasses are used.

I would get someone in though to check out your system. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back