Small damp patches in plaster

Don't spray anything on the wall. It creates more problems than it sorts. You need to pay for an access platform and a days labour. Materials are virtually nothing.

Sponsored Links
I've been in the business for 35 years and never seen a house that leaks from the side due to the weather. It's always the top.

I'm still waiting for someone to fill the cracks in the cement verge. I guess I won't know if that was the cause until it is done????? Does it still seem likely? (rather than the pointing or porous brick and cavity insulation) The loft is dry, so is it possible for water to get into the cavity from the verge cracks? (there is a TINY bit of mortar between two blocks in the loft that looks like it might be damp in an area that might correlate with a crack but I have looked at it for a few days and it does not change so maybe not damp??)

The upstairs room seems ok and the downstairs damp circles are not directly under the crack but perhaps the water has to "travel" to find its' way in?

The guy with the £4000 quote said (based on neighboring house) something about the felt (or cloaking??) not going all the way across and having dropped into the cavity????

P.S. when the damp patches dry (between rain) there are no stains left behind.

The flaunching on my chimney pots (the mortar around them) is cracked and when it rains I get a puddle in the lounge under the floor, so yes the cracking is the most likely cause. You could get that bit fixed from a ladder for £60 or do it yourself for a couple of quid. It's NOT a big money job.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the reply and reassurance. I should be getting that done in the next day or two when he is passing and the weather is favorable. Not keen on ladders myself, especially up near the top of the gable end !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back