Small Joist Repair for new floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Ive had some minor issues with noisy floor boards in a 1920’s converted flat that i recently moved into.
Ive had the carpet and floor covering off to reaveal the area in question was covered with three rectangualr bits of ply board that didnt fit particulary well and were missing fixings in several places hence the noise when walking in that area

I decided if remove these and replace with proper floor boards however when removed ive found that three sections of joist measuting 1foot across have been cut away. I’ll need to replace these also in order to support the boards along their length.
Ive got some 2x7 timber to replace the three bits and also some timber to timber joist hangers all cut and ready to fit.
The only problem ill have is getting access to fit two of joist hangers with twist nails and a hammer due to the radiator feed pipe.
Will it be okay to screw the hangers in insted of using twist nails and if so what screws would you recomend?

heres a couple of pics that explain the above.

View media item 76206
View media item 76207

Sponsored Links
Looks like a chimney breast has been removed during the conversion.

Strictly, the hangers should be nailed, using the nails recommended by the manufacturer, because nails can withstand the shear force better than screws.

But with such a short span to support, your loading won't be much and you should be OK with screws. Short and thick, rather than long and thin; 1 1/4" 10s, or thereabouts?

Thanks tony.

I'll user the proper nails where possible and where I can't ill use screws with an impact driver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back