Small leak. Inhibitos and leak seal together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently had my central heating system pressurised. Pressure at 1 bar when cold. Losing approx 0.5 bar every 10-14 days, requiring smallish top up. Assume a leak? Looked everywhere but most of pipes are under the floor (suspended) and cannot see them. Plan to add leak seal (1 litre for 100 litres) and also some inhibitor. Questions are, can I add the two together at the same time? Is the pressure drop suggesting a big leak? How do I drain the towel rad and then add the fluids (bearing in mind it's a sealed system?) Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
recently had my central heating system pressurised. Pressure at 1 bar when cold. Losing approx 0.5 bar every 10-14 days, requiring smallish top up. Assume a leak? Looked everywhere but most of pipes are under the floor (suspended) and cannot see them. Plan to add leak seal (1 litre for 100 litres) and also some inhibitor. Questions are, can I add the two together at the same time? Is the pressure drop suggesting a big leak? How do I drain the towel rad and then add the fluids (bearing in mind it's a sealed system?) Thanks for your help.

Some leaks are easier to find at a higher pressure Chris, Leak sealers are a botch.
Radiator valves are a common one for leaks, particularly if they're not BS10.

Thanks for response. Wooden floors throughout downstairs. Looked carefully at all valves and no evidence of a leak.

Thanks for response. Wooden floors throughout downstairs. Looked carefully at all valves and no evidence of a leak.

Bump it up to 2.5Bar & leave it cold, if nothing shows on any ceiling overnight, then you're looking at under the Ground Floor. Again with some joined up thinking, sections can be capped off.

Sponsored Links
Mine was a leak on the pressure release valve as it was so slow was hard to tell. Wrap a small plastic bag round the pipe which should lead out side and check it after a day or so. Bare in mind no water should come out of this at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back