smart meter cuts off supply (?)

"voltage operated"
interesting.
I have yet to meet anything mechanical that is "voltage operated"

The Voltage Operated Earth Leakage Breaker ( VOELB ) is operated by a current through the coil of the solenoid that trips the mechanism to OFF.

The impedance ( resistance ) of the solenoid's coil is such that when 50 volts or more is applied across the coil the solenoid will pull in and trip the breaker.

The VOELB was designed to turn the supply OFF when the voltage on the Earth wiring ( CPC )was more than 50 Volts above the true Ground potential. 50 Volts was consider to be a safe voltage and hence the VOELB were specified as operating at 50 Volts.

It requires the CPC to be isolated from anything connected to Ground for the VOELCB to operate.

Sponsored Links
Surely the smart meter feeds both the house and EV point, and the house had a supply before the ELCB was tripped. Therefore the smart meter cannot have switched off.

Surely the smart meter feeds both the house and EV point, and the house had a supply before the ELCB was tripped. Therefore the smart meter cannot have switched off.
True, I think the general feeling was that my brother's action of "testing" the ELCB had somehow triggered a fault elsewhere.
Anyway, the EDF bod has been, replaced the meter and has diagnosed the problem within the ELCB. which sort of fits the circumstances better
disappointing result for the local spark if true. Im not sure that the problem is resolved even yet though.

Sponsored Links
We have ELCB-v and ELCB-c the latter also called a RCD. The ELCB-v has a connection to true earth, so must have at least 5 connections, but ELCB-c only needs 4 wires, so device is clearly a ELCB-c or an RCD.

I have yet to meet anything mechanical that is "voltage operated"
Yes, the terminology is/was very confusing. As you imply, any thing electromechanical 'operates' because current flows through a coil/whatever - and what voltage results in the required 'operating current' flowing is irrelevant. As bernard has said ..
The Voltage Operated Earth Leakage Breaker ( VOELB ) is operated by a current through the coil of the solenoid that trips the mechanism to OFF. .... The impedance ( resistance ) of the solenoid's coil is such that when 50 volts or more is applied across the coil the solenoid will pull in and trip the breaker.
... so I suppose a less confusing term for a VOELB wiuld have been something like "voltage-triggered circuit breaker".

We could, I suppose (bit fortunately didn't!!) invent similarly confusing terminology for MCBs, or even RCDs, since the current (normal of 'residual') that causes them to operate will correspond to some (very low) voltage across the sense coil/whatever of the device -0 but, fortunately, we didn't :)

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
its got 6 wires.
2 earths (in and out)

the two "earth" terminals are :-
(1) The CPC of the installation ( voltage of the "Earth" system of the installation)
(2) a Ground electrode. ( voltage of the true Ground )

The ends of the solenoid's coil are connected to the two "earth" terminals

I don’t think this has been meantioned, but VOELCBs we’re retired many years ago. Basically the VOELCB only works if any earth-bound fault voltage is travelling from the installation’s main earth terminal and through the ELCB to ground usually an earth electrode.

The introduction of bonding, etc makes the ELCB pointless, hopeless. It won’t trip if you have an earth fault, and it should be removed from the installation.

I’m surprised the EV guy energised anything with that otter mill box in place.

Please have a proper electrician come and remove it and install a safety device that will work (maybe an up front 30mA RCD). Assuming you don’t already have RCDs protecting the installation.

It was (In my opinion) established back in post 13 by chunky that it is a voltage trip. What has not been proven is that it is still functioning as such, it could be tnc-s and ottermill is just a (faulty) isolator. Without knowing if those two earth cables are in separate connections, ie. across coil, or share common terminals making it straight through. Whatever the case it can only be resolved by the attendance of an electrician who knows what he/she is doing.

Why should the ELCB-v have been removed with the fitting of the EV charging point?

The local professional has apparently been at it all day:

"But her sparky was at it all day and couldn’t sort, talked about getting a 3rd replacement trip switch that was older and therefore “less sensitive” but left her with power on to living room sockets somehow with an extension reel to plug in fridge, lights & kettle (I think); and with the living room sockets powered she had tv too. But then after he left & I went round with dinner for her she opened fridge and the trip switch went again. No one dared touch anything so she is without power again tonight"

... sounds to me like an earth fault on the fridge itself, possibly on the fridge light. I am beginning to wonder if in pressing the test button on the ottermill, my brother simply un-stuck a sticking mechanism which is now keen to be making up for missed fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back