Smart speakers, or smart-enable a traditional setup?

BIB: Diamond 220 is not a floor-stander. It's a stand-mount speaker. The Diamond 220 is barely 12" tall FGS.
I think you misread my post. I was comparing the 220 with the bronze. On that bundles page they also have a floor standing set... tannoy IIRC.

Other than that, your posts continue to be most helpful... Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
you leave the room or take a call the music cuts out
In the kitchen, that's probably fine. Leave your phone on the counter or drive the music from your tablet. Or get a £30 Chromecast.

I think you misread my post. I was comparing the 220 with the bronze. On that bundles page they also have a floor standing set... tannoy IIRC.

Other than that, your posts continue to be most helpful... Thankyou.

Actually, I read you post for what it was. You have the benefit of knowing that you were looking at a web page with mixed speaker types, but to the reader your punctuation made it appear that you were still talking about the Wharfedale 220's. ever mind; water under the bridge.

3 Sonos Play:1s here, one in the kitchen, dining room and spare bedroom (typical 1930s 3 bed semi size rooms). Very happy with the system. New app is taking a bit of getting used to.

Have previously used Denon Mini-system with Apple Airports for streaming. One advantage of the Sonos is that when you use streaming services, you don't stream to it - it streams things itself. I don't have a NAS so rely entirely on the online radio services through TuneIn, and Apple Music.

Sponsored Links
3 Sonos Play:1s here, one in the kitchen, dining room and spare bedroom (typical 1930s 3 bed semi size rooms). Very happy with the system. New app is taking a bit of getting used to.

Have previously used Denon Mini-system with Apple Airports for streaming. One advantage of the Sonos is that when you use streaming services, you don't stream to it - it streams things itself. I don't have a NAS so rely entirely on the online radio services through TuneIn, and Apple Music.

If you have a lot of CDs kicking about the WD MyCloud NAS works very well with Sonos, I bought the 3tb which was completely overkill but only £90.

Put my 300 CD's on there (saved them from the loft!). I ripped all mine to FLAC using free programs off the internet.

Deezer works very well also (Premium Plus).

A NAS is just a networked disk with no brain right? As I understand it for streaming local files on non-DLNA systems you need to run something like Plex but I'm not sure where you run it from, and if I'd be better with a microserver to hold all the content and any applications needed?

After your help here I've ended up going the "traditional system + Chromecast" route.

A NAS is just a networked disk with no brain right? As I understand it for streaming local files on non-DLNA systems you need to run something like Plex but I'm not sure where you run it from, and if I'd be better with a microserver to hold all the content and any applications needed?

After your help here I've ended up going the "traditional system + Chromecast" route.

Lots of NAS devices also have additional features which include music servers. I believe the WD MyCloud has inbuilt DLNA server functionality, the Synology range of devices certainly do. I have a Synology alongside my microserver and the former is much easier to configure/manage, albeit with more limited functionality. If you want something that works well out of the box I would go with a NAS (and I can recommend the Synology devices), if you are technically minded and enjoy playing with new apps/tech then the microserver is a more capable product.

It may also be worth mentioning that if you went with the Google option in the end they offer the uploading of up to 50,000 songs for free. You can play these via Google Play music without a subscription.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back