SMEG SLIMLINE DISHWASHER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Smeg slimline DWF 409WH dishwasher won't start. It was full of water, which I've emptied, and I've tried the reset advice on this Forum several times but it just gives a little brrrp, as if it's going to start, then the last 3 lamps come on, as though it's finished a cycle.
Please has anyone any advice? It's quite a few years old now but has always worked brilliantly... and I don't fancy the expense of a call-out or a new machine if it can be avoided.

Sponsored Links
If the filters are clean & the waste hose/sink spigot clear then the most likely candidate is a jammed/defective drain pump.

If the filters are clean & the waste hose/sink spigot clear then the most likely candidate is a jammed/defective drain pump.

Thanks for that, unfortunately we are complete novices in the mending electricals department so, please, how do you locate the drain pump? Is it behind the little plate at the base? If so, how to remove it & what do we look for?
The filters and hose are clean and clear.

Unfortunately I can't pull up any constructional drawings on this machine but most of the Smeg dishwashers I have worked on have had a removable baseplate (you may also be able to get at the pump if there is a cover at the front under the door). If not disconnect the DW & lie it on its back (have a bucket handy to catch any water from the drain hose as you lower it). Removing the baseplate gives you good access to most major components, including the pump. It may be as simple a a piece of glass or similar blocking the pump impellor. Go here for some useful background info http://www.smeg-service.co.uk/support/index.php?a=1#2 Click on "dishwashers" then type in "drain" or "pump" in the knowledge search bar. Good luck :D

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I can't pull up any constructional drawings on this machine but most of the Smeg dishwashers I have worked on have had a removable baseplate (you may also be able to get at the pump if there is a cover at the front under the door). If not disconnect the DW & lie it on its back (have a bucket handy to catch any water from the drain hose as you lower it). Removing the baseplate gives you good access to most major components, including the pump. It may be as simple a a piece of glass or similar blocking the pump impellor. Go here for some useful background info http://www.smeg-service.co.uk/support/index.php?a=1#2 Click on "dishwashers" then type in "drain" or "pump" in the knowledge search bar. Good luck :D
Thanks, we've looked at the pump.. it's not blocked. Managed to get hold of another Smeg, full size, (DWF614SS) but some with compatible parts.. and that pump doesn't help either. Someone suggested the chamber might be blocked.. the spare Smeg has salt in one side and some sort of orange gunge in the other chamber, what would this stuff be? ... I've hardly ever put salt in mine as we live in a very soft water area... so we're really floundering now! Is it easy to change the PCB and where is it? Under the top panel? As a new Smeg would cost around £700 we are quite keen to fix this ourselves, if poss!!

It isn't the water softener unit that is causing the problem & the orange stuff is supposed to be there (all dishwashers have it). It could be a defective pressure switch but these don't fail very often. Measure the voltage to the pump at the very start of a cycle, if it has 0 or a very low voltage then I suspect a blown drain pump triac on the pcb or a break in wiring. Remove the pcb & inspect it. Triacs are in essence little switches, they are small black objects with 3 solder points. Often the only damage you will see on one is a very tiny piece of it is missing. In which case you need a new pcb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back