Smelly drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a gulley trap which drains the sink and washing machine from my utility room. Quite often there is a foul smell outside in the area of the trap. The drain has never overflowed. However I am unable to trace where it eventually drains into. I have lifted the lids on all of the inspection points on my property and checked that they are free flowing by flushing toilets and running wash basins, but no matter how much water I put down the trap can I see it draining through these points. I have cleaned some silty rubbish from the bottom of the trap, but nothing excessive. I have been able to feed the whole length of a 1.5 metre flexible plumbers spring down, but that hasn't improved matters.

Any help would be welcome before I venture down the expensive path of calling a drain team.

Sponsored Links
Could it be leaking to ground and the smell is coming from around it rather than from inside it?

For the drain to be smelling the trap would have to be open.

Seems like Ian is right - it's probably a rainwater drain that someone's mis used. You could get some flourescent drain dye to see where it's going - if it wets the ground somewhere it'll show.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back