Smelly Radiator problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone can help with this strange problem.

I live in a new house (12 months old) and one of the radiators has suddenly started to give off a smell of stale water when it gets hot.
There are no leaks and when I open the bleed valve the water comes out clear - any ideas - it's got me stumped!!

cheers

:confused:

Sponsored Links
It could be a very small leak of water containing corrosion inhibitor. It will only happen when the joints get hot, but it may be such a small amount that it evaporates quickly.

Sponsored Links
Oilman,

I'm fairly confident it's not a leak - it sits above ceramic tiles & there's not the slightest amount of water on them. If however it is the smell of corrosion inhibitor from a tiny leak, do I have an alternative aside from replacing a 12 month old radiator?

cheers

The leak , if any, won't be enough for you to see puddles on the floor. Try nipping up the joints a little.

I has this problem and it was inside the bleed valve collar with slight corrosion inhibitor resting on the bottom and only smell when heating was on,clean it up, now okay.......

Masona,

Stupid question time ....
how do you clean up the bleed valve - do you need to undo it completley?

sorry for my ignorance!

cheers

Not sure what type you've got as there're so many difference design.

Mine is a square hole with bleed valve in the centre and the inhibitor was resting on the bottom of the square hole and clean it out with cotton buds,when you think it about it when bleeding the radiator the hole of the bleed valve is further in so you're bound to get some resting inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back