smelly toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
howdy,

i have a smelly downstairs toilet which is unbearable. the drains have been cleared and checked. the toilet is always clean and flushed at least once a day and yet the smell keeps emmitting from the wc.
what is going on and how can i sort this out.
man thanks
ian

Sponsored Links
Is it defo coming from the WC, is there a trap below the basin, does it need cleaning out.

The water in the bottom of the pan should be providing an airtight gap and not allowing any stench through, what about the seal around the soilpipe.

Have you got wooden floors or concrete ?

We had the same problem in the local library loos. Couldn't even tell if the smell was coming from the loos, the basins or just from under the floor.
Got Environmental Health in to do a smoke test (stick a smoke bomb into the drains outside and wait). Smell definately getting through, but no wiser as to how. Decided it must a cracked pipe under the floor, so was going to take off a loo, fill the drains and see if water level dropped. As soon as we removed the loo, problem discovered - no flexi seal whatsit onto the back of the loo. Amazing how there were no leaks, and even on hands and knees behind the loo couldn't tell.
New connector whatsit thing - problem solved.
Suggest you tape up the connections to see if it stops smell. If so, remove toilet and get new fitting.
As Bili what not says - check the seal onto the soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
thanks everyone for the repies, i have sealed (for now) with silicon sealent the waste pipe round the edge to see if that stops the smells coming through. fingers crossed. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back