smoothing out the render on a concrete house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
we live in one of those double skin poured concrete houses. They didnt care much about cosmetics when they were built - so there is a 'wavy' surface from the concrete, which has been rendered and painted.

The render seems sound to me.

What is my simplest/most cost effective way of getting a smooth level surface to the render?

any advice greatly appreciated.

rgds

Graham

Sponsored Links
Hi - sorry, I appreciate a picture is worth a thousand words.

Just 'smooth' wouldn't do it as the surface would still be 'wavy'/'uneven' - so yes, flat as well.

any advice gratefully received

rgds

Graham

I think you may find it's terylene. You will need to knock it all off and start a fresh, no simple fix.

Sponsored Links
I think you may find it's terylene.

Don't be daft Peaps. "Terylene" is a polyester fabric. :LOL: :rolleyes:

TYROLEAN is a wall finish. As a plasterer with 24 years experience, you should at least know how to spell the different aspects associated with the trade. :rolleyes:

Hi - thanks for the comments - yes it is a rough surface.
I kinda thought, knock some of the paint off and render over....

If you replace render, you have to insulate as well - I have no objection to insulating..... but the cost is too much for me.

Are there any alternatives?

best rgds

Graham

if that was my house i would leave the render well enough alone looks like theres not one crack in it, it matches the other houses in the road as well or at least your neighbours house, theres no way i would rerender just to get a smooth surface, also if it was me i would be happy with knowing that all my render is sound, if you go for a rerender you could end up with cracks in the new render so i would give it a bit more thought if i were you

I'd agree that if it's not our of place, spend the money on something else.

However -

If the substrate is sound, you can go over it - but if anything is loose, it MUST come off.

I would then mesh it entirely with fibreglass mesh ( rolls 1200 wide) lapping every joint 100 mm and double lapping around windows and doors ( likely stress points)

(If you have any large straightish cracks this might need a movement joint, you can get an integral plastic bead.)

This mesh is bedded into a coat of 'rendaid' which is applied by trowel. You can pin the mesh in to hold it in place, but this is not vital. Run a roller over the rendaid while soft to give a key.

Then you can render, k-rend /weber coloured render if you want.

Or level off with ordinary render and use a finishing render over that

I think you may find it's terylene.

Don't be daft Peaps. "Terylene" is a polyester fabric. :LOL: :rolleyes:

TYROLEAN is a wall finish. As a plasterer with 24 years experience, you should at least know how to spell the different aspects associated with the trade. :rolleyes:

Yes you apply it to a rendered finish. Many council houses had it and many years of painting give it a rough look. I wouldn't worry about my spelling, I don't.

Infact it's **** poor.

Get over it I have :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back