soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have been told I can make a simple soakaway for my drive by using a large plastic woven bag (the kind sand comes in) put in a hole and fill with broken slabs to allow the piped water to flow in freely. Would it be preferable to use shingle. Would the bag allow water to seep out sufficiently? :confused:

Sponsored Links
the volume for a soakaway can be worked out as metres squared of paving * 0.017, so that's the free volume you want. a large gravel would work better than slabs (whatever leaves the biggest voids), ideally you would buy aquacell soak away crates at about £40 per 200litres capacity and terram to wrap the crates in, surrounded by pea. it's not a cheap option but it is the right way.

that's if you are doing it right, and if you are doing it the way building control would expect you to.

What about the bag idea which seems a cheap way for the job. But I don't know if the material is water permeable. I have been told the top of the bag should be eighteen inches below the soil surface

Sponsored Links
the bag is permeable, they are less than 1 mcu in volume, and a lot less than that once you've filled it with gravel or rubble.

it's better than nothing i suppose, at least you might be able to have a bulk bag or gravel craned straight into the hole.

just don't be surprised if the water regularly backs up when it rains, it's also dependant on your soil type at depth (sand, clay, gravel, silt all drain at different rates)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back