Soakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
have to install soakers where a pitched roof abutts a wall...the wall hasnt ben built yet, should i go ahead and build the wall b4 i install the soakers or would it be wise to install the soakers as i build?

Also as i havent done anything like this before...does the soaker go between the slate and underlay?

I will be installing an apron flashing over all this i think.
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
the soaker is fitted on top of each tile ad is formed so that it will hook on the top edge of the tile.

roofers use lead in places that tiles cannot be used as they aren't easily bent!

Cheers,
It will be on slate though not tile so I cant "form" it around any edge.
Does it still go on top?

Something like this is what im doing and the soakers appear to be under the tiles/slates.........
http://www.leadsheetassociation.org.uk/html/1401.html

Also if i do it like this should i put an apron over it or not.
I have seen some houses etc with an apron over this sort of setup and some without(the ones without appear to ve been built with the abutment day one wheras the others are typically extensions)
Cheers,
MArty.

Sponsored Links
The soakers are interleaved with the slates. As each slate is laid against the abutment a soaker is put on top and the top 30mm of the soaker is turned down over the batten at the head of the slate, the soaker is then covered by the next slate. You should not be able to see the soakers once the slates are fixed.

The soaker should be the length of the gauge + lap + 30mm, minimum 175mm wide with 75mm turned up wall with a cover flashng over. Soakers are usually formed from Code 3 lead.

Thanks roofer,
Understand it now...on the eaves course should the soaker be between bottom and middle slate or between middle slate and top slate?
Thanks again,
Marty.

Also my headlap is 118 and my lap is 241 so i need soakers 389mm * 175 (or is it 389*175 + 75mm)

Eaves course soaker goes between 2nd eaves slate and first full slate (1st eave slate's only purpose is to support rivet)

Soaker size is 389 x 175

Don't forget to coat all lead including soakers with patination oil otherwise you get nasty white streaks down the roof

one more question...do i need to chase each soaker into the wall if im fitting a cloak flashing over the whole lot?
Cheers,
Marty.

Good advice there Roofer. MartyC, no you should not chase the soakers in to the wall. The lead flashing is what you chase into the wall. And don't forget, you should never fit lead that is over 1.5m long.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in there Roofer.

Cheers guys...really glad i asked that last question as i cant see any where that says NOT to chase soakers into wall...makes job much easier now!!
Thanks to all...top advice.
Marty.

the soakers move with the roof, whilst the stepped cover flashing remains rigid. the two then can move independently without buckling.

Hi can you give me some advice
can you make a back gutter flashing for a plain tile roof or does it have to be properly fabricated by a expert?
if you can make one yourself would you happen to have the plans or drawings.

also would you happen to know how to install a grp valley trough.
many thanks leo.

Roofer said:
Eaves course soaker goes between 2nd eaves slate and first full slate (1st eave slate's only purpose is to support rivet)

Soaker size is 389 x 175

Don't forget to coat all lead including soakers with patination oil otherwise you get nasty white streaks down the roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back