Socket set, ratchet spanners, torque wrench, opinions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a basic socket set. Although on searching motoring related forums, opinions seem to vary as to what a basic set comprises of.

The halfords pro stuff always gets a favourable reviews, and they currently have a 10% off everything promo.

I'm torn between just stumping for the 150 piece £99 set, or buying the components seperately as I go along, logic being that I'll have a more comprehensive set of tools in the long run.

For example, the set contains 4 impact sockets, whereas if you buy the seperate impact set you get 8.

The box only contains 6 sizes of ratchet spanner, but the full set of ratchets from 8mm to 19mm is only £36 in the promo. (They all come with a lifetime guarantee)

Also looking at Bahco, many sets are good value on eBay (my cousin works in deccy merchants and reckons the sockets come out of the snap-on factory)

On a similar note.

Lidl's are doing a torque wrench this week for £12.99, looking similar to the Clarke model that Machine Mart sell. Not knowing anything about torque wrench technology, and always aware of the phrase 'get what you pay for' is this worth a punt for DIY mechanic use or should one steer well clear. arf arf

Sponsored Links
Being a hgv mechanic i would say the old adage you get what you pay for is true, however for diy use halfords stuff is pretty good (got a couple of there spanners myself), on the socket front as long as your not putting them on an air gun or power bar with a scaff bar on the end then they will be fine, treat them with respect and you gert the service out of them, one thing i would advise spending out on is good screwdrivers saves pain in the fingers, machine mart do a set that are magnetised with the shaft running through the handle so you can give them a bit of a whack with a hammer when required

As a general rule, it's cheaper to buy a set of tools than to buy components separately, even if in buying a set you get tools you might never use. If you buy a set you also get a box to put the tools in, which may or not be useful (probably will be in the short term). Bear in mind that depending what you're working on, you'll use some sizes frequently and other sizes never.

Personally, I don't buy tools from Lidl (unless it's something that really doesn't matter much). A torque wrench does matter very much, so get a good one. Make sure it covers the range you're likely to use; you'll probably need an angular gauge as well (make sure you get one with a reaction arm).

I've been very pleased with Teng tools, though I have a good number of other makes of spanner; I've found them well finished and good value.

It's well worth getting a breaker bar (which probably won't come in any set) and a set of wobble extensions.

Deluks - I don't know which end of Surrey you are but if you can be ars*d to cross the border into Kent - Sidcup to be precise - you could visit Home & Workshop Machinery. An Aladdins Cave of pre-owned equipment ranging from handtools through to centre lathes and milling machines and all the stuff in between. I bought a 12" Startrite tablesaw and a bandsaw from them. Visiting somewhere like this means you can get top quality tackle - including socket sets, spanners, vices, etc., etc. and you don't buy unseen.

They have a website which isn't comprehensive - actually they could improve it alot. Give them a ring before setting out.

http://www.homeandworkshop.co.uk

For what it's worth, I'd be tempted to get a top cabinet, something like a SnapOn with drawers, and build-up with selected individual quality items; I'd avoid those monster tool sets 'cos of duplication (how many screwdrivers, of the same type, does a guy need). My stuff (and I can't remember the last time I used most of it - who works on their own motors these days?) is all British made tackle from the 'old days' ...

I'd be stumped if I had to buy any of it these days, most of the affordable stuff now seems to be made in the Chinese Gulags, it looks OK but will it last?

Sponsored Links
I've got the Halfords pro stuff, with trade discount I get 20% off those tools. They are excellent and very well made. The ratchet spanners are a godsend!

I got a 1/4" Teng socket set too which is very well made and worth every penny, I didn't even pay that much for it think it was about £30 or so.

I bought a 1/2" socket set from screwfix, and I have to say this has been used and abused and is still solid. Get a decent torque wrench though and a good size breaker bar, with that you should be on your way. You can then start adding them odd 36mm+ hub nut sockets you will invariably collect along the line!

Ok I've discounted buying the Halfords full kit, I already have driver bits, hex bits, spanners and allen keys so no point in buying those again.

Gonna get the halfords 8 piece impact sockets for £18, these will also be compatible with my impact driver.
I'll probably get the aforementioned ratchet set too, at least they aren't double ended ratchets, which would be a pain if one end broke leaving me with half a useful tool (risky, like a tv/dvd combi or washer dryer)

Screwfix have a 3/8 Teng ratchet for about £12 and a stanley crv 1/4" set for about £15.

Will take a punt on the Lidl jobby, the same model is in SF for a quid more and I have bought Lidl's tools in the past and they are usually better quality than the price would suggest. It would probably only get used a few times a year so I can't really justify spending £40 -£50 on a brand name.

A few guys on eBay splitting and selling halfords kits so I can pick and choose, building up the rest as I go along.

Thanks all for input.

Symp. I'm in Croydon, but will check out that place next time I'm in that part of the world, sounds like my kinda place ;)

Symp. I'm in Croydon, but will check out that place next time I'm in that part of the world, sounds like my kinda place ;)

There was a shop in wallington that done the same sort of thing, but i think he's mainly hand tools rather than vices and stuff

I know the place, might pop in there tomorrow after I've picked up my fisher price torque wrench from Lidl. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back