Spec me a 1/4" Socket set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tool chest is filling up nicely and since I do a lot of work on cars I thought I'd invest in a nice 1/4" socket set. I have a nice 1/2" set already so this should compliment it nicely.

Since I have a Halfords trade card was looking at the halfords pro tools one for £29 with 20% discount should be good value.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...863_crumb_33958-76859_parentcategoryrn_76863#

Although I am seriously tempted by the Teng set:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86602...;jsessionid=FGPBIKZIKDZ0QCSTHZOSFFY?ts=10559#

Any others you could throw into them mix? Also saw a 1/4" socket since at the B&Q made by TORQ?? never heard of them so not sure of their quality. If there is a 3/8" and 1/4" which is a good set I wouldn't rule it out.

Also While I'm at it any ideas on a nice set of Ratchet Spanners?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The Halfords set is chrome vanadium which is preferred, the Teng set doesn't say. I wouldn't normally buy plain carbon steel tools.

Assuming you already have a good 1/2" set, I don't see the point of a 3/8" set as well, though they can be handy on bikes.

the screwdriver bits are of negligible value and you can easily get them cheaply.

Look at the quality of the ratchet drive as it will fail but sockets don't go wrong.

The teng stuff isnt highly polished chrome, its a satin finish, but is cr-v.
The ratchets are the fibreglass ones, they are certainly strong. I havnt managed to break mine yet ;)

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with satin finish, not quite so slippery. no need for bling in the toolbox. Sounds good.

Very tempted by that Teng 36 pc one now seems very good value, comes to about £35 delivered.

I can get the halfords pro one for £26 after the discount, but just wondering if the teng would be the better option for £10 more... It does have the deep sockets though where the halfords ones doesn't. hmmmm

Just bought the Teng 36Pc set! Even though the Halfords one would be more than good enough I thought this looked the business :LOL:

I think Ratchet Spanners are next on the hit list! Couldn't find a set on the Teng tools site only singles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back