Old rad valve tails

after more thought, I ordered the stepped wrench with grooves from Plumbworld, it's only £10.56 inc P&P and it looks like it will fit my socket handle.

It's branded Monument.

Sadly they are out of stock.

Sponsored Links
The problem with the step wrench(yes i use one) is that they dont always go far enpough into some types of radiator to get any purchase.This is down to the length of the stepped end and some of the older type of radiator designs.

The problem with the step wrench(yes i use one) is that they dont always go far enpough into some types of radiator to get any purchase.This is down to the length of the stepped end and some of the older type of radiator designs.

Never had that problem lcgs.

so never come to an old panel radiator that had a small ball shape where the rad tail used to go in.forget the make but not any of the new ones nor barlo's.

with larger sized tails the stepped bar hit the panel or the back of the tail holder before actully gripping the tail.

Sponsored Links
Loads of times, and never ever seen a steel panel radiator with a larger tapping than 1/2"

I think.

I've had a few good fights getting these buggers out in the past, especially for one of my customers who has a house full of pre 1930's rads.

If you've got nowt that fits you make something fit.
Sacrifice a cheap big old tool [not a file - too brittle] from a boot sale and set to with an angle grinder to create your own radvalve tail removal device.
Lots of heat and lots of soaking in the penetrating spray

One tool I will mention is a pair of footprints I have. The inner and top jaw part can be brayed in and the other can be used wrong way round to make a lever or just grip the head with stillsons.

I have got some footprints
4000417189168080_6.jpg

but mine are about 18" long, I don't see how I could get them in :confused:

The handle part of the top jaw, depending on shape can be "brayed"into the tail. Then rive it anti -clockwise.

Simples.

ah, you mean where it is bent round into a "U" shape

I'd go along with namsag's "tighten the valve back on" method - works every time - and I never bought any extra tools :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back