Sockets used for out door equipment who is responsible for safety?

As it happens I installed some Lewden interlocked sockets between '96 to '02 to a previous design but I truly don't recall thier action.

I have one branded ESR which works as John describes. It does work.

Sponsored Links
Interesting about interlocked sockets, not some thing I was considering, my worry was more about TN-C-S or PME supplies out doors. In order to stop indoor equipment being used out doors the 16 amp blue socket has be used out doors, or where likely to be used out doors, this means to get power for power tools we have to use the 110 volt transformer and 110 volt tools as we can't simply bring tools from home and plug it. Because metal work in the building is bonded, and this metal work extends 8 miles out doors in the form of railway tracks, it is impossible for the earth to be lost.

But still same rules apply, and in the main out doors we use RCD protection and class II equipment. So the blow up hot tub is OK as class II, until a patio heater class I placed close by. With the pandemic there have been a lot of semi-out door units, it seems we have a nation under canvas. We have had canvas and rubberised building for years, but not so many, cinema where I use to live had a lovely brick built facade but the back was canvas never watched films in the winter.

But we have loads of temporary structures which are supplied for sockets never designed to have class I items used from them. And we have a situation where owners may be unaware sockets being used out side, and installers never intended them to be used out side, and the user is unskilled.

I had even as a professional not considered the way the earth is connected with yellow brick transformers, the line and neutral are isolated, but then the earth is not, so line 1 and 2 may be 55 volt from the PEN voltage but what is the PEN voltage?

Basic question is if TN-C-S is safe?

Sponsored Links
Interesting about interlocked sockets, not some thing I was considering, my worry was more about TN-C-S or PME supplies out doors. In order to stop indoor equipment being used out doors the 16 amp blue socket has be used out doors, or where likely to be used out doors, this means to get power for power tools we have to use the 110 volt transformer and 110 volt tools as we can't simply bring tools from home and plug it.
That seems to be somewhat of a muddled statement about various different things. Are you suggesting that 230V equipment should not be used outdoors, that TN-C-S supplies should not be used to supply outdoor equipment, that BS1363 plugs should not be used for outdoor equipment or what?
Because metal work in the building is bonded, and this metal work extends 8 miles out doors in the form of railway tracks, it is impossible for the earth to be lost.
"Loss of the earth" is not the concern with TN-C-S but, rather, loss of the direct neutral connection back to the transformer.
Basic question is if TN-C-S is safe?
I'm sure you don't really need to ask that question. 'Intact' TN-C-S is as safe as anything else but can become a problem, and present dangers, if a fault arises in the PEN/CNE supply conductor - and if such a fault arises, then the potential dangers are probably at their greatest in relation to Class I equipment used outdoors (or, at least, in an environment other than the equipotential zone of the installation).

Kind Regards, John

In the home TN-C-S is reasonably safe, like the bird on power lines, out doors with class II also reasonably safe, but class I out doors can't see how it is allowed?

In the home TN-C-S is reasonably safe, like the bird on power lines, out doors with class II also reasonably safe ....
Indeed, in fact is both cases essentially 'totally safe', provided that 'the home' is properly constituted as an equipotential zone and that the Class II item really is Clas II and does not have any 'earthed' exposed-c-ps **.

[** note that, whilst some MIs of Class II items with exposed metal parts say that those metal parts "must not be earthed", there are no regulations of which I am aware that would forbid such 'earthing'.]
... but class I out doors can't see how it is allowed?
As I said, an 'intact' TN-C-S supply is essentially 'safe' for an outdoor Class I item (since an intact PEN/CNE conductor will not rise to a dangerous potential above true earth), any problem only arising if there is a PEN/CNE fault. The reason it is 'allowed' is, I imagine, based on the fact that such faults are extremely rare, and usually short-lived.

'Uninsulated' outside taps are 'allowed' in houses with TN-C-S electrical installations.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back