Soffit conundrum ................ this may sound stupid !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Many years ago my facias were replaced with PVCu ones, and they still look good.
It's now time to do the soffits, which I'm having to tackle myself due to a shortage of funds.
Here's the question .................... can they be glued over the existing soffits?
I have a box of 30mm Polytop pins, the problem is they go straight through the existing soffit but pull straight back out! I don't want to remove the existing soffit as I've been told it's asbestos cement.
If adhering is a possibility, what should I use. I've heard gripfill doesn't really work on outdoor jobs but someone recommended Sticks Like Sh*t or Serious Stuff Wet Grab.

Many thanks in advance,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
Any decent low modulus silicone should do it..that and locate the rafters the existing plate is nailed to..and use your pollytops.

Sponsored Links
If you can, tuck the soffit boards between the bottom lip of the fascia and if using C channel, fix it to the rafters or wall or frames to hold the whole lot up.

You tend to see a lot of plastic soffits fixed solely with adhesive or silicone hanging down after a while.

Ive always found trying to nail through AC sheets ends up cracking them, and they then need to be removed.

Hanging silicone - went to a job once and after a window fitter had been and gone 2 months or so , there was yards of silicone hanging everywhere. Turns out they used acetoxy (sp) not neutral curing silicone. Did some tests on spare bits of upvc. Using the neutral cure stuff you could not get them apart ( set @ 90 degrees with a silicone bead in the angle) FWIW silicone is white and fixing foam is yellow ?;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back