Soffit vents required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just about to sell our split level maisonette (built approx. 1963) and the survey has stated that there's inadequate ventilation in the soffits/fascias. We had the soffits/fascias and guttering replaced in Sept 2010 and all appears to be good with the work, but obvioulsy the buyer wants us to get this sorted before we complete. Yes, there aren't any signs of soffit vents but there aren't any visible vents fitted to any of the other maisonettes in our block or other blocks close by. The soffits are approx. 18 inches deep. soffits and fascia board used was UPVC. We are a terraced block and the work was to replace the front and rear soffits/fascias/guttering which is 6 metres each side (12m total). I phoned up the roofing company that performed the work yesterday asking about whether vents should have been installed but I was told that these were customer preference. I'm not sure this is correct. Aren't there Building Regs or British Standards that dictate what and how this kind of work should be fitted.
A second opinion about this would be gratefully received. Also, if they should have been fitted using vents I can't really trust the original company to perform the rework as it's obvious they don't know what they're doing with regards to the regs.

Thanks for any help.

D.

Sponsored Links
just get someone to put 5 soffit vents front and back 70mm circular type will do approx. 50p each and a 70mm hole saw no more than £20 worth of materials then you can close the sale pointless arguing whether they should or shouldn't have been fitted originally just do it :)
building regs don't apply to refurbishment of roofline if soffit was vented originally then it has to be vented again. new builds are a different matter
I think you have a case of over zealous surveyor syndrome considering no other property has soffit vents

Thanks Pinnacle69. It's a pain as although the materials are cheap we would need scaffolding front and back to do the job as the work is on the 2nd floor approx. 8-8.5m height (ground slopes away at the rear so height is probably over 9m. This then adds hundreds to the cost.
Surely if there were no vents previously then the replaced hardware doesn't need to be vented?

If the original fascia was removed and replaced with uPVC then it would have been a good idea to fit over facia continuous vent @ the top . If it was just a clad over with thinner uPVC then it couldn`t be done

Sponsored Links
no it doesn't need venting its a like for like replacement of roofline if it was never vented before then why should it have to be now. question your surveyor's report

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back